The Starry-eyed Rebels

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      I really enjoyed Bill's post late last evening about cosmic and
      philosophical angst. The astrophysicists, and even renegade
      cosmologists like Velikovsky, do humanity a huge service by showing
      us the instability of our universe. We have to face it. And along
      with the existentialists they present a very compelling picture for
      turning our attention from hatred and war, to the real issues
      confronting existence itself.

      All revolutions fail because their cause is never based upon
      individual human dignity and freedom but the causes of gods and
      absolutist ideas. Terrorists are extremely misguided revolutionaries.
      Sartre finds them admirable, but Camus sees them as fools. Their
      jihad is for them and their god, not their fellows. The universe is
      beautiful, which means it includes the destructive and well as the
      creative; and as humanity has discovered the power to destroy equal
      to that of the asteroid and hypernova, it has uncovered the other
      secret: the power to create is of equal potential. If we as
      individuals can't affect or access this great power, we certainly can
      create and extol beauty wherever possible. We can be liberators and
      rebels in ways which seem insignificant but have power to change
      individual lives forever, or at least a single lifetime. The
      enlightened philosophers of science know that this solar system and
      human species are a rare and beautiful occurrence. And enlightened
      people know it could end all too quickly.

      -----------------------------

      Instead of the judge and the oppressor, the creator. - Nietzsche

      -----------------------------

      One can reject all history and yet accept the world of the sea and
      the stars. The rebels who wish to ignore nature and beauty are
      condemned to banish from everything with which they want to construct
      the dignity of existence of and labor. Shakespeare, Cervantes,
      Moliere, and Tolstoy knew how to create: a world always ready to
      satisfy the hunger for freedom and dignity which every man carries in
      his heart. Beauty, no doubt, does not make revolutions. But a day
      will come when revolutions will have need of beauty. The procedure of
      beauty, which is to contest reality while endowing it with unity, is
      also the procedure of rebellion. Is it possible eternally to reject
      injustice without ceasing to acclaim the nature of man and the beauty
      of the world? Our answer is yes. This ethic, at once unsubmissive and
      loyal, is in any event the only one that lights the way to a truly
      realistic revolution. In upholding beauty, we prepare the way for the
      day of regeneration when civilization will give first place - far
      ahead of the formal principles and degraded values of history - to
      this living virtue on which is founded the common dignity of man and
      the world he lives in, and which we must now define in the face of a
      world that insults it. - Camus

      -----------------------------

      I stand on my head on Desolation Peak
      And see that the world is hanging
      Into an ocean of endless space
      The mountains dripping rock by rock
      Like bubbles in the void
      And tending where they want -
      That at night the shooting stars
      Are swimming up to meet us
      Yearning from the bottom black
      But never make it, alas -
      That we walk around clung to earth
      Like beetles with big brains
      Ignorant of where we are, how,
      What, & upsidedown like fools,
      Talking of governments & history,
      -But Mount Hozomeen
      the most beautiful mountain I ever seen,
      Does nothing but sit & be a mountain,
      A mess of double pointed rock
      Hanging pouring into space
      O frightful silent endless space
      -Everything goes to the head
      Of the hanging bubble, with men
      The juice is in the head -
      So mountain peaks are points
      Of rocky liquid yearning

      Desolation Blues
      1st Chorus
      Jack Kerouac

      Whatever the cause of life, it's absurdly beautiful and terrible.
      It's the joy-terror wheel spinning around and in our heads. Jo