Re: Sanity

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 6:06 PM
      Louise,

      Aint no thang. Translates as don't worry - be happy. I liked
      Dawkins' "Unweaving the Rainbow" the best, full of poetry and awe for
      all bountiful life on this planet. He's fetching, even with his
      clothes on.

      Have to tend to my road warrior. Peace out . . .

      Jo

      > Mary Jo,
      >
      > Since I have at least read 'The Selfish Gene', and did some time
      ago
      > start reading 'River Out of Eden', and have both on my desk right
      > now, and have also listened carefully to Richard Dawkins on radio
      > and TV programmes in recent years, there might be a possibility of
      > mending fences through discussion of our own layman's understanding
      > of science in relation to existentialism. I do acknowledge that
      > your reading here is more extensive than mine. I am extremely
      > sceptical of the 'meme' theory, or analogy, but need more time to
      > articulate my scepticism.
      >
      > Let me just quote here from the first chapter of 'The Selfish Gene':
      > " ... it is a fallacy - incidentally a very common one - to suppose
      > that genetically inherited traits are by definition fixed and
      > unmodifiable. Our genes may instruct us to be selfish, but we are
      > not necessarily compelled to obey them all our lives. It may just
      > be more difficult to learn altruism than it would be if we were
      > genetically programmed to be altruistic."
      >
      > And how does Richard Dawkins end his book, 'River Out of Eden'?
      > "A statue of a naked man and woman, hands raised in a gesture of
      > peace, deliberately sent on an eternal outward journey among the
      > stars, the first exported fruit of the knowledge of our own life
      > explosion - surely the contemplation of this might have some
      > beneficial effects upon our normally parochial little
      > consciousnesses; some echo of the poetic impact of Newton's statue
      > in Trinity College, Cambridge, upon the admittedly giant
      > consciousness of William Wordsworth:
      >
      > And from my pillow, looking forth by light
      > Of moon or favouring stars, I could behold
      > The antechapel where the statue stood
      > Of Newton with his prism and silent face,
      > The marble index of a mind for ever
      > Voyaging through strange seas of Thought, alone."
      >

      > Louise
      > ... in love with conciliation, if it were possible ...
      >
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo" <alcyon11@y...> wrote:
      > > Louise, it's not really anyone's fault this sanity business. As
      > > Richard Dawkins so kindly put it:
      > >
      > > In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication,
      > some
      > > people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get
      lucky,
      > > and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice.
      The

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008
        Well, what is it?? How irrational a hope might it be supposed, that
        philosophical clarity, about, for instance, the categories and
        symbolism employed in political and scientific discourses, could, to
        borrow Eduard's phrase, 'influence the collective'? Contemporary
        democratic system does have evangelistic features, as though the
        churches look after spiritual souls, and the politicians their
        secular equivalents. Far more than material wants are addressed by
        those who canvass for votes, and existentialist reading might indeed
        contribute to any candidate's particular hermeneutic. Can't readily
        imagine the electorate would care much, though. Philosophical
        thinking has a quite different time-scale from the requirements of
        social policy. Not only that, there are forms of philosophical
        enquiry which claim reference to eternal realities, outside of
        history altogether. I am not so convinced as Bill, that metaphysics
        is bullshit. The psychiatric controversies also complicate
        everything. Who understands the human mind?? Slowly, I get
        acquainted with my own, and the experience is different from, say,
        spending time with a friend, when two enfleshed minds walk side by
        side, and talk.

        Louise
        ... reclaiming her name
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2008