' "the lovable bastard" '

    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      dear Louise, (10/7/1986)
      You have claimed not to possess existential concern, but have
      related the impact upon you of the notion of Death. This is
      existential anxiety. There are divers possible responses to
      existential anxiety, viz.
      1) Existential concern, or attention of the consciousness to the
      root of the anxiety, & adjustment of life in accordance with all
      obtainable elements of insight.
      2) Denial of the fact or finality of death / as in religions
      generally.
      3) Denial that anything is to be lost by death.
      4) Keeping busy.

      [two paragraphs omitted]

      (The above has undergone a few deformations since its aqueous
      conception, bits have been lost, but it still perhaps is, for me,
      newly succinct: if so, the result, no doubt, of dogged professional
      persistence such as I'd never have managed without you/)

      best wishes,
      Paul
    • Mary Jo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2004
        Louise,

        I find (1), (2), (3), and (4) to all be very human and reasonable
        reactions to the absurd reality of death, and I find that on any
        given day, I'm practicing or succumbing to all four. Your Paul has
        given you sound advice. What else can one do? All responses are
        absurd. Even if one is fortunate to see clearly, and all others are
        still blind, one is still very much alone. This is the truth.

        Mary Jo

        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2004
          Mary Jo,
          I realised after posting that I'd accidentally omitted the words
          between 'dear Louise' and 'You have claimed...'. These were:
          'Some notes formulated in the bath, which may be of use:'
          Now then, Paul as Archimedes, that is a pleasant thought, and only
          confirms my suspicion that the True-man hails from Manchester, and
          is unknown.
          Louise