Yahoo hiccups...

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2004
      As you all know, I am always asking students and professors to send me
      the questions and outlines from their courses. I think this helps me
      pursue readings and add to my Web site. However, I never answer the
      questions if a student is simply asking me to do homework. They send
      the questions knowing I want to add them to the site's list of common
      questions.

      Anyway, this is from a course on existentialism versus postmodernism,
      with a focus on Sartre and Heidegger:

      1. What wrong conception of being has "modern thought" overcome? By
      what dualism was that conception replaced?

      2. How does bad faith differ from a lie? What difficulties follow from
      this difference? How does psychoanalysis address these difficulties?
      What are two reasons why the psychoanalytic approach does not work?

      3. Analyze an example of bad faith.

      4. What does it mean to say: "Every belief is a belief that falls
      short; one never wholly believes what one believes" (115)? How is this
      relevant to bad faith?

      5. What are two inadequate conceptions of the past? What is the true
      relation I have with my past?

      6. What is the present? What is presence?

      7. What is the future? Why is it that the For-itself "can never be its
      Future except problematically" (186)?

      8. What is knowledge?

      9. What is solipsism? What is wrong with it?

      10. "What does being seen mean for me?" (347)

      11. Why is it that "danger is not an accident but the permanent
      structure of my being-for-others" (358)?

      12. What is the Other?

      13. How can we "explain that unshakable resistance which common sense
      has always opposed to the solipsistic argument" (362)?

      14. How does the fact that I can be mistaken in thinking that I am
      looked at "help us in our investigation" (368)?

      15. What is absence? What is it not?

      16. What is fear? How can it be resolved?

      17. What is shame? How is God relevant to it?

      18. What is pride? Why is pride in bad faith?

      (Pages refer to the U.S. paperback of B&N)