Re: And the unprecedented arrogance continues . . .

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
      Mary Jo,
      There's a great deal I don't know about politics and history, and
      much that I'm not currently able to bear reading about; but I would
      hate to think I'm offending you at any time with my references to
      local people (I really do mean, connected with the shop across the
      road from my home/office) - metaphor and patterning is so important
      to my existentialist passion that I don't know any other way to do
      things. For instance, "Bossieboots" is an affectionately militant
      term towards someone's daughter - clearly, I mustn't start being
      more specific than this; but I don't post stuff without first having
      faced the consequences in person. I have had someone say to me,
      years ago, "there's nowhere else to go", and what made no sense to
      me then makes sense to me now.
      In timorous friendship,
      Louise
      ... who is going off now to cook a midnight feast for my husband and
      myself...

      > - These three stories really pissed me off today:
      >
      > (1)Joe Wilson is not going quietly. Since the supposed
      investigation
      > into the matter hasn't yet begun, he wrote a book. The arrogance
      of
      > this administration, the interests to which it is indebted, and
      its
      > grudge/messianic agenda, is without historic precedent. I really
      want
      > to read Richard Clarke and Robert Woodward's books, but this one
      > looks really interesting, to me anyway.
      >
      > "At the end of April, Ambassador Joe Wilson will release a book
      > naming the White House advisors he blames for ruining the careers
      of
      > CIA operatives, including Valerie Plame, Joe Wilson's wife.
      Wilson's
      > story began when Vice President Dick Cheney sent him to Niger to
      > investigate a claim of Uranium being shipped to Iraq. Wilson
      > determined the claim was unfounded, but the President's State of
      the
      > Union speech before the war included it anyway. After Wilson
      publicly
      > criticized the speech, the White House retaliated, and a federal
      > grand jury is now trying to determine who in the administration
      > leaked his wife's identity to reporters and whether the case
      warrants
      > criminal charges." Wilson's book is titled "The Politics of
      Truth." -
      > MSNBC
      >
      > Oh, and by the way, Valerie Plame is also privy to who some of
      > Cheney's energy `advisors' were. The CIA and some of America's
      most
      > significant corporations work together abroad. This is well known.
      > Perhaps Valerie's `outing' was not only retaliation against
      Wilson's
      > independent report and opinion regarding Iraq and Uranium, but
      also a
      > threat to prevent any further revelations regarding Cheney and his
      > energy policy makers.
      >
      > (2)Even John McCain criticized the a network consortium's censure
      of
      > Ted Koppel's plan to air names and pictures of American military
      > killed in Iraq tonight's airing of "Night Line". I wonder if ABC
      and
      > Ted have the cojones to go ahead with it. I'm conflicted about
      > whether we should show all the horrors in order to "win" with
      > resolve. On the other hand, since it looks like another Vietnam,
      > what's the difference? Show the waste of lives in all its
      insanity.
      > Show what it really costs and what a colossal waste of lives it
      will
      > be in the end. This includes all lives, Iraqi innocents, American,
      > and all others who believe in its wisdom.
      >
      > (3)A military pilot's wife was denied $250,000 life insurance
      benefit
      > due to a technicality and a dispute over when the policy actually
      > went into effect. I tried to find the story for the details, but
      it
      > looks like it's been killed. Unfortunately, I can't find the
      branch
      > of service. The case is before a judge right now I believe. He
      signed
      > up and crashed within days. The insurance company denying benefits
      is
      > a popular insurer of military pilots.
      >
      > - This makes me happy even though it's too little too late:
      >
      > "Retired autoworker John Demjanjuk served as a guard in Nazi
      > concentration camps and was not eligible to obtain U.S.
      citizenship,