And the unprecedented arrogance continues . . .

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
      - These three stories really pissed me off today:

      (1)Joe Wilson is not going quietly. Since the supposed investigation
      into the matter hasn't yet begun, he wrote a book. The arrogance of
      this administration, the interests to which it is indebted, and its
      grudge/messianic agenda, is without historic precedent. I really want
      to read Richard Clarke and Robert Woodward's books, but this one
      looks really interesting, to me anyway.

      "At the end of April, Ambassador Joe Wilson will release a book
      naming the White House advisors he blames for ruining the careers of
      CIA operatives, including Valerie Plame, Joe Wilson's wife. Wilson's
      story began when Vice President Dick Cheney sent him to Niger to
      investigate a claim of Uranium being shipped to Iraq. Wilson
      determined the claim was unfounded, but the President's State of the
      Union speech before the war included it anyway. After Wilson publicly
      criticized the speech, the White House retaliated, and a federal
      grand jury is now trying to determine who in the administration
      leaked his wife's identity to reporters and whether the case warrants
      criminal charges." Wilson's book is titled "The Politics of Truth." -
      MSNBC

      Oh, and by the way, Valerie Plame is also privy to who some of
      Cheney's energy `advisors' were. The CIA and some of America's most
      significant corporations work together abroad. This is well known.
      Perhaps Valerie's `outing' was not only retaliation against Wilson's
      independent report and opinion regarding Iraq and Uranium, but also a
      threat to prevent any further revelations regarding Cheney and his
      energy policy makers.

      (2)Even John McCain criticized the a network consortium's censure of
      Ted Koppel's plan to air names and pictures of American military
      killed in Iraq tonight's airing of "Night Line". I wonder if ABC and
      Ted have the cojones to go ahead with it. I'm conflicted about
      whether we should show all the horrors in order to "win" with
      resolve. On the other hand, since it looks like another Vietnam,
      what's the difference? Show the waste of lives in all its insanity.
      Show what it really costs and what a colossal waste of lives it will
      be in the end. This includes all lives, Iraqi innocents, American,
      and all others who believe in its wisdom.

      (3)A military pilot's wife was denied $250,000 life insurance benefit
      due to a technicality and a dispute over when the policy actually
      went into effect. I tried to find the story for the details, but it
      looks like it's been killed. Unfortunately, I can't find the branch
      of service. The case is before a judge right now I believe. He signed
      up and crashed within days. The insurance company denying benefits is
      a popular insurer of military pilots.

      - This makes me happy even though it's too little too late:

      "Retired autoworker John Demjanjuk served as a guard in Nazi
      concentration camps and was not eligible to obtain U.S. citizenship,
      a federal appeals court ruled Friday. A three-judge panel of the 6th
      U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against Demjanjuk in the
      government's 27-year effort to prove he served as a Nazi camp guard
      and tried to hide that history. The court upheld a 2002 decision by a
      Cleveland federal judge who revoked Demjanjuk's citizenship.
      Demjanjuk, 84, has lived for years in Seven Hills, a community near
      Cleveland. He came to the United States in 1952.

      Demjanjuk, a refugee from Ukraine, was originally accused in 1977 by
      the Justice Department of being "Ivan the Terrible," a particularly
      sadistic Nazi guard who ran the gas chambers at the Treblinka death
      camp in occupied Poland. Between 1942 and 1943, more than 850,000
      Jews were murdered at Treblinka. Ivan the Terrible was a guard who
      herded the victims along the path to the gas chamber, hacking at his
      victims to speed them along." AOL News

      Jo
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2004
        Mary Jo,
        There's a great deal I don't know about politics and history, and
        much that I'm not currently able to bear reading about; but I would
        hate to think I'm offending you at any time with my references to
        local people (I really do mean, connected with the shop across the
        road from my home/office) - metaphor and patterning is so important
        to my existentialist passion that I don't know any other way to do
        things. For instance, "Bossieboots" is an affectionately militant
        term towards someone's daughter - clearly, I mustn't start being
        more specific than this; but I don't post stuff without first having
        faced the consequences in person. I have had someone say to me,
        years ago, "there's nowhere else to go", and what made no sense to
        me then makes sense to me now.
        In timorous friendship,
        Louise
        ... who is going off now to cook a midnight feast for my husband and
        myself...