Re: Target acquisation and identification

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2004
      Bill,
      I can tell this is you on top form, but I'm rather tired, and can't
      say much to the purpose.
      This post exemplifies what I imagine, anyway, to be the right inter-
      action between mature Nooism and honest realpolitik.
      There's more I want to say, but don't quite trust myself to do so
      yet. Practicalities can be very depleting.
      Louise
      ... what am I saying, though - Bill, a Nooist?? ...

      > Louise, The infantry spends a good deal of training in this
      area.The
      > whole business is rolled up in rules of engagement. These rules
      > differ from battle to battle and within timeframes of single
      > battles. Command tries to walk a thin line between protecting
      one`s
      > own troops and unnecessary killing of non combatants. To civilians
      > this all seems horribly cruel but it is the business of war. If
      done
      > well there is less death.
      > Big, powerful weapons kill indiscrimenately. Individual soldiers
      > can discriminate much more closely if they are well trained.The
      most
      > discriminating of weapons systems is the sniper. One shot one kill
      > leaves no room for error if target selection is positive. I note
      > Marine snipers are active around Fallusia. We are trying to
      avoid
      > the destruction of human shields and religous totums.
      > In a more strategic vein we are discriminating between the
      Jahaadys
      > in Fallusia and the young cleric, Sadar, in the south. I think of
      > George Washington being left to live by the worlds most powerful
      > army. The progression of that mans rebellion now becomes the
      Crowns
      > finest allay. One should know what one wants when going to war.
      That