300

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 17, 2004
      The no. 300 was from a few years ago. I doubt any have been
      destroyed. Certainly the Arabs could have overrun the Jews by sheer
      force of numbers. We provided the counterbalance. We gave our dog in
      their back yard some big teeth. The problem with nukes in such a
      small area is you can easily kill yourself or poison the terratory
      you are fighting over.
      We really do not need Arabs or Jews and they certainly understand
      that. So the mess simmers on and as long as our oil money supports
      the Arabs and our military and foreign aid supports the Jews it
      remains controlled chaos.
      Woodward seems to think Bush and Chaney decided they had had enough
      of Saddam and in effect destabilised the boiling pot. Now everbody is
      looking for what they want. Israel wants land, we want the oil and
      the Arabs think if it blows up they may get the area back by default.
      I think a whole lot of people are going to die and in the end all
      that will be retained is the boiling pot. THe Jews won`t poison
      their sacred land , Bush doesn`t have the guts to pull the trigger
      and the Arabs just want the blood of Jews and now Americans. I think
      all of them will fight to no end and to no conclusion until public
      opinion demands an end to it. That could take a long time and a lot
      of blood. Bill
    • Mary Jo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 17, 2004
        what else is new?

      • jerryjfortin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2004
          In a message dated 17/04/2004 10:22:06 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
          valleywestdental@... writes:

          > I think
          > all of them will fight to no end and to no conclusion until public
          > opinion demands an end to it. That could take a long time and a lot
          > of blood. Bill

          Bill,

          You could take all of the bombs and bullets away from the people in the
          middle east, and they would crawl over the dunes in the dark with knives in their
          teeth. Its about fundemental beliefs, its that simple. There never was and
          never will be a comprimise possible. Would the United States accept Ohio
          becoming communist? The problem is not to be solved by outsiders, only those within
          can make the peace. How long has Ireland been a thorn in the side of the
          British? How long have the Kurds been a problem to the Turks? How about the
          Tamils, or the Chechins. On our side of the world we have the Columbian problem
          and the Contras.

          It is not possible to buy your way into peace, without love and trust it just
          isn't possible. Perhaps its time to rethink international politics
          altogether. Its not about economics and politics, its about personal convictions. Its
          the people that matter, and the people have problems its just that simple.
          If society wants to actual tackle the problems of poverty, which is the root of
          the problem then and only then will progress be made. When clean air,
          available water, sufficient food, adequet education, quality healthcare and gainful
          employment are secured for the masses of humanity then true peace is possible,
          but not until then. Just as long as few have much and many have little
          countless generations condemn themselves to the detrimental impact of greed and
          power. We need to stop looking inside the box for solutions, the fundemental
          problems that we face are rooted in the systemic forms of governmental
          admistration.

          I can't remember which astronaut said it, I think it was Gordon Cooper who
          remarked that you can't see a single border from space. We are in fact a global
          community, its time we began to act like it. Our neighbors problems will
          always spill over the fence when they become big enough.

          If we want peace then we need to deal with the problem of disparity and
          despair, because we will not even begin to scatch the surface without that
          recognition.

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2007
            I just finished watching "300", the movie. It is a technological
            wonder, Priscilla did not recognise it as mostly animation. It is
            also augmented ancient history and seemed true to other versions of
            Thermopoli that I have read. It adapted geopolitics, anti mysticism
            and racism in various doses.
            Wil, I have sympathy with you in your revulsion at the
            demonstrations you mentioned. This movie is just too timely,
            too "horray for the west" to be taken as wholly verifiable history.
            Speaches by Lyonitis concerning courage , honor, and other homeric
            virtues made harsh opposition with the basso rumblings of a seven
            foot tall Xerses who was the monster villian out to crush the future
            of democracy. Actually the Persians are the outnumbered, outgunned
            antagonists in our modern morality play. The spinning and posturing
            in the discord with Iran are playing well to western audiencies.
            The theatre was full and I wonder if many in the audience knew they
            were watching clever propaganda. I understand Greek theatres are
            overflowing . It just goes on and on through the centuries, Alexander
            and Darius, Lyonitis and Xerces, Agamemnon and Priam, Blair and the
            Aiatolla battle for their well spun perceptions of reality.
            I, Wil, like you , am cought up in the cheering for the good guys,
            for the future of rational thinking, for an end to totalitarianism.
            If the carrier of mystical absurdism is now Islam then down with the
            enemy and up with our side. Later on we can kill off the catholics,
            protestants, jews, neocons and all the rest still unnamed. It is just
            good , clean competition playing out of our animal genes. Our allies
            don`t look right and have a bad smell but when you need allies you
            take what you can get. Hell, Im Irish and now stand shield to shield
            with the Brits. When they block out the sun with arrows we will
            fight in the shade. Great, Bill