Re: Digest Number 368, drive and philosophy

  • livewild@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 9:23 AM
      Wyatt,

      judging by the depth of your exisential site, I certainly do
      not understand the details of existential thought as well as
      you, but I would like to qualify your statement.

      "Existentialism is NOT dark"

      I do agree that existential thought does not need to be
      inherently dark and morbid, but it is neither about happiness
      either. At least in theory (I'm not even certain I agree with
      this next statement even though its my own), emotions are a
      human chemical experience with no reflection on a "true"
      philosophy. Thus an existential "truth", can be interpreted
      as dark or light regardless if its the same thought or not. I
      think this is true of all philosophies.

      I suspect that the reason why existential thought has been
      so successful and influential in the 20th century (since
      people in other centuries had different spins on reality) is
      because of it's natural flexibility, but as I have stated
      before, I doubt that existential thought (as it stands) is
      the be all and end all of philosophical thought (Tom's train
      clearly demonstrates that) Here's an aphorism of my own....

      "People should not be a slave to any philosphy, a philosophy
      should be a slave to them."

      But I do like it the best of all because unlike my other pets
      (eastern philosophies) it presents us with a sense of urgency
      and progressiveness.

      I just think that humanity is starting to grow up and is
      slowly discarding all the arbitrary human constructs of
      reality because the modern age and globalization has exposed
      us to an enormous number of belief systems.

      Again this is not to say there is no meaning. Only that
      we're tossing out the junk (and maybe some of it isn't junk)
      and starting out on a clean slate that can become populated
      with rules and concepts that are more related to the natural
      state of the universe and can be tested against it. I think
      its the first step and foundation of a more harmonious
      philosophy that does not fly in the face of universe. St
      Thomas Aquinas once argued it does not make sense that "God"
      should try and trick you and that theoretically you should be
      able to philosophize your way to the "metaphysical" although
      granted it would be a difficult and inprecise journey.

      What that may be, I cannot say. But I cannot believe from
      either an emotional standpoint or even a rational standpoint
      that with all the beauty and activity in the cosmos, there is
      no purpose. As far as I can see everything is natural, even
      the most depraved. We have to move away from a human
      philosophical model of reality. And we seem to be dong this
      as we slowly realize that other creatures have "rights".

      When we speak about philosophy, most of us usually are
      searching for an understanding of how to conduct our day to
      day lives, of our place in the universe (even if it is no
      place at all), and perhaps to comfort our anxieties.

      When I lack "drive", I simply remind myself of an elegant
      statement Ghandi once said that seems to hold true to
      reality.

      "Anything you do is insignificant, but it is important that
      you do it."

      Jim Aiden

      --- In existlist@y..., "C. S. Wyatt" <cswyatt@t...> wrote:
      > We need more PEOPLE to participate. More voices in the
      choir!!!!

      > Speak up, people. Share your thoughts and questions.
      >
      > Oh, I thought I might mention that I was reading my
      Dramatists' Guild
      > newsletter and a "feminist" playwright used the word
      "existential" so
      > loosely as to make my skin crawl. I know that people use
      the word randomly
      > and without any definition, but it still annoys me.
      >
      > Existentialism is NOT dark. It is not about accepting what
      happens. It is
      > about embracing yourself, your actions, and your moments of
      life. It is not
      > political or religious -- it is being true to your nature,
      not some
      > predefined, depressed, dreary motif created by anti-social
      wannabe artists.

      > I feel better now.
      >
      > - C. S. Wyatt
      > (Visit my site, buy books... visit my site, buy books...
      You are under MY
    • livewild@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 10:12 AM
        Yikes. I re-read my post and my aphorism struck me as too
        open to being interpreted as "do whatever you feel like at
        any given moment". So I humbly offer my apology as I re-write
        it to more accurately reflect what I'm trying to say.....

        "People should not be a slave to any philosophy....
        they should be slaves to each other."