RE: [existlist] Digest Number 368

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
      We need more PEOPLE to participate. More voices in the choir!!!!

      Speak up, people. Share your thoughts and questions.

      Oh, I thought I might mention that I was reading my Dramatists' Guild
      newsletter and a "feminist" playwright used the word "existential" so
      loosely as to make my skin crawl. I know that people use the word randomly
      and without any definition, but it still annoys me.

      Existentialism is NOT dark. It is not about accepting what happens. It is
      about embracing yourself, your actions, and your moments of life. It is not
      political or religious -- it is being true to your nature, not some
      predefined, depressed, dreary motif created by anti-social wannabe artists.

      I feel better now.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      (Visit my site, buy books... visit my site, buy books... You are under MY
      control!!!!)
    • livewild@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
        Wyatt,

        judging by the depth of your exisential site, I certainly do
        not understand the details of existential thought as well as
        you, but I would like to qualify your statement.

        "Existentialism is NOT dark"

        I do agree that existential thought does not need to be
        inherently dark and morbid, but it is neither about happiness
        either. At least in theory (I'm not even certain I agree with
        this next statement even though its my own), emotions are a
        human chemical experience with no reflection on a "true"
        philosophy. Thus an existential "truth", can be interpreted
        as dark or light regardless if its the same thought or not. I
        think this is true of all philosophies.

        I suspect that the reason why existential thought has been
        so successful and influential in the 20th century (since
        people in other centuries had different spins on reality) is
        because of it's natural flexibility, but as I have stated
        before, I doubt that existential thought (as it stands) is
        the be all and end all of philosophical thought (Tom's train
        clearly demonstrates that) Here's an aphorism of my own....

        "People should not be a slave to any philosphy, a philosophy
        should be a slave to them."

        But I do like it the best of all because unlike my other pets
        (eastern philosophies) it presents us with a sense of urgency
        and progressiveness.

        I just think that humanity is starting to grow up and is
        slowly discarding all the arbitrary human constructs of
        reality because the modern age and globalization has exposed
        us to an enormous number of belief systems.

        Again this is not to say there is no meaning. Only that
        we're tossing out the junk (and maybe some of it isn't junk)
        and starting out on a clean slate that can become populated
        with rules and concepts that are more related to the natural
        state of the universe and can be tested against it. I think
        its the first step and foundation of a more harmonious
        philosophy that does not fly in the face of universe. St
        Thomas Aquinas once argued it does not make sense that "God"
        should try and trick you and that theoretically you should be
        able to philosophize your way to the "metaphysical" although
        granted it would be a difficult and inprecise journey.

        What that may be, I cannot say. But I cannot believe from
        either an emotional standpoint or even a rational standpoint
        that with all the beauty and activity in the cosmos, there is
        no purpose. As far as I can see everything is natural, even
        the most depraved. We have to move away from a human
        philosophical model of reality. And we seem to be dong this
        as we slowly realize that other creatures have "rights".

        When we speak about philosophy, most of us usually are
        searching for an understanding of how to conduct our day to
        day lives, of our place in the universe (even if it is no
        place at all), and perhaps to comfort our anxieties.

        When I lack "drive", I simply remind myself of an elegant
        statement Ghandi once said that seems to hold true to
        reality.

        "Anything you do is insignificant, but it is important that
        you do it."

        Jim Aiden

      • livewild@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2001
          Yikes. I re-read my post and my aphorism struck me as too
          open to being interpreted as "do whatever you feel like at
          any given moment". So I humbly offer my apology as I re-write
          it to more accurately reflect what I'm trying to say.....

          "People should not be a slave to any philosophy....
          they should be slaves to each other."