Re: Louise SPAMS Trinidad

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hello Susan,

      Just like in everyday life, the children command most of our
      attention, I guess it shouldn't be any different in this format. I do
      think it's a shame that someone with fresh ideas and something
      worthwhile to contribute should be driven off with drivel. There is
      nothing more frustrating for adults to have to deal with other adults
      who act like children. As the daughter of a schizophrenic, I speak
      with a poignant experience. Many children of the parents who are
      mentally ill or afflicted with Alzheimers know how difficult it is.
      Adults have rights and often assert them, but they behave as
      children, and we are forced into treating them like children.
      Fortunate are those who can deal with this existential conundrum. It
      takes great courage and acceptance of our mutual human frailty.

      Take care,
      Mary Jo

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
        Susan,
        I notice you don't answer my question about Trinidad's insults.
        Also, your idea that calling Sartre a jerk is not a personal attack -
        or, as CSW did, casually re-telling an unfunny joke about Nietzsche
        being a sociopath - well, that shows that your own relationship to
        existentialism is purely cerebral. Like FN, I feel my philosophical
        ideas in my gut; if anyone insults a philosopher I love, whether
        living or dead, it's like a punch ion the gut. That's why I get
        angry. Can't you at least imagine your way into that? Suppose
        someone told a sick joke about a cat of yours that had died ...
        Louise

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
          Mary Jo,
          On one of my rare surfing sessions, back on 14 March, I discovered
          ROMUNIVERSE.COM
          Thought you might appreciate a choice selection from their 'Funny
          Misc. Stuff' -

          #Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their
          shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and
          you have their shoes.

          #Thank you for not annoying me more than you do.

          #Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

          #If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

          #It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

          #I'm extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

          #I'd like to help you out; which way did you come in?

          #I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. This wasn't it.

          #Well this day was a total waste of make-up.

          madwoman smiling at grief

        • Susan Schnelbach
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
            You do not personally know Sartre or Nietzsche, therefore someone
            rendering an opinion on them does not have anything to do with you.
            Calling Sartre a jerk, after reading about his personality or behavior
            is not a personal attack since he is not a member of this list.
            Personal attacks are insults directed at someone here.

            If you disagree with someone's opinion on a philosopher you like,
            intelligently offer a differing viewpoint, backing it up with evidence.
            That is what this group is here for. Besides, admiring someone's
            writing has nothing to do with liking them personally. Nietzsche may
            very well have been a sociopath, there's no shame in that unless you
            are also a murdering sociopath. Having sociopathic tendencies is just
            as much a mental aberration/abnormality as being schizophrenic.
            Nietzsche would not have any more control over sociopathic tendencies
            than someone who was autistic or neurotic or pyschotic.

            Telling a sick joke about a dead pet, child, or parent is greatly
            different from telling a joke about a public figure you don't know and
            who died long ago. Besides, I can't think of what a joke about
            someone's mental defects would be and don't believe Christopher would
            have said something like that as a joke.

            As for Trinidad, I have no idea. I believe that insult occurred some
            time ago. It not, then I simply may not have caught it, or I privately
            asking him to cease and desist. As I've said before, many times, I
            don't read all posts thoroughly. I don't have the time to do that.

            And no, I am not an existentialist. Nor do I voluntarily read the
            literature of that time period (I believe the last time I read any of
            the traditional existentialists was in high school). I am here to make
            sure you all stay somewhat on topic and don't start hurling verbal
            knives at each other. I don't have to have an interest in existential
            literature or philosophers to do that.

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 3, 2004
              Susan,
              Wow! I have no personal animus toward you at all, and appreciate
              you're busy and acting in good faith within your own believed
              parameters of value; but that statement of yours, that you don't
              have to be an existentialist in order to keep us all on topic is so
              amazing to me that I haven't closed my mouth yet.
              I have actually had private messages of support; and though I
              absolutely believe you never intended it, for me the worst 'verbal
              knives' have emanated from you as moderator, castigating and
              instructing me both on this message board and to my mail-box.
              However, now this is all out in the open, and after much sleep last
              evening and overnight, I have to say I feel like a new person, so to
              speak, and hope there'll be no more need for controversy, at least
              from my quarter. I came to this group to discuss philosophy, and
              never in the world to seek therapy, which is the last thing I need,
              in my opinion; and I wish to continue discussing philosophy here for
              as long as possible or needful.
              With all good wishes,
              Louise

              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2004
                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "cribprdb" <trinidad@i...> wrote:
                > Louise
                >
                > Please don't reply to my answers to questions from others with
                > unrelated subject matter. Follow the thread. If you want to babble
                > on unrelated matters just open a new thread. What you are doing
                > amounts to SPAM. I have just opened this thread for you. Enjoy.
                >
                > If you want to correspond with me e-mail me privately. You can
                SPAM
                > away there. The list is a service to other people besides you.
                >
                > Trinidad

                - Unclear, and probably uninteresting. Comments?