Sv: [existlist] idiots guide to books

  • Yulian K. Gaard
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
      James ...

      << the speed of light is an absolute. >>

      Besides in the science labs in usa where a danish scientist both managed to slow light as well as stop light completely.

      Being of light
      Y.

      Respectfully submitted.

      " Magic is a way of life. "
    • james tan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
        let me just qualify myself...
        speed of light in a vaccum. yes, of course, light slow down in a medium.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
          James,
          That is well, then the speed of light is not an absolute unless under very specified conditions. Thus the speed of light is relative to certain outside conditions.

          Respectfully submitted.

          " Magic is a way of life. "
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
            folks,

            well there you go ... and i predicted that in my last email
            ... do i get a prize? ....

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
              *chuckl* Eduard, I am more interested in the fact that people say that light bends space/time. - if that is so you can make a timemachine by making a sphere of slowed/stopped light continiously adding more while a man walks either clockvice will make a timemachine ;)

              predicting
              Yulian

              Respectfully submitted.

              " Magic is a way of life. "
            • Yulian K. Gaard
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2001
                Eduard ...

                That wasent fulfilling your prediction as she stored it in some molecules ;)

                Respectfully submitted.

                " Magic is a way of life. "
              • Eduard Alf
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
                  Yulian,

                  i suppose, but im not holding my breath for that one ....

                  have fun ...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
                    Yulian,

                    there is an article on it in Scientific American ... let me
                    read that first ... perhaps i still get a prize ...

                    have fun ...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2001
                      Actually Yulian,

                      the theory goes that space/time itself
                      is curved (not light). This is a fairly
                      solid theory since it has been observed
                      by astronomers when massive objects bend
                      space enough they can make nearby light
                      sources appear as if coming from two
                      different locations. Thank Einstein for
                      figuring out that one long before it was
                      ever observed.

                      But enough of that... this is about philosophy.