A man carried away by his thought . . .

  • Mary Jo
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1 6:00 AM
      Respect for a man carried away by his thought . . .

      "The poets are thus liberating gods. The ancient British bards had
      for the title of their order, "Those who are free throughout the
      world." They are free, and they make free. An imaginative book
      renders us much more service at first, by stimulating us through its
      tropes, than afterward, when we arrive at the precise sense of the
      author. I think nothing is of any value in books, excepting the
      transcendental and extraordinary. If a man is inflamed and carried
      away by his thought, to that degree that he forgets the authors and
      the public, and heeds only this one dream, which holds him like an
      insanity, let me read his paper, and you may have all the arguments
      and histories and criticism. All the value which attaches to
      Pythagoras, Paracelsus, Cornelius Agrippa, Cardan, Kepler,
      Swedenborg, Schelling, Oken, or any other who introduces questionable
      facts into his cosmogony, as angels, devils, magic, astrology,
      palmistry, mesmerism, and so on, is the certificate we have of
      departure from routine, and that here is a new witness. That also is
      the best success in conversation, the magic of liberty, which puts
      the world, like a ball, in our hands. How cheap even the liberty then
      seems; how mean to study, when an emotion communicates to the
      intellect the power to sap and upheave nature: how great the
      perspective! nations, times, systems, enter and disappear, like
      threads in tapestry of large figure and many colors; dream delivers
      us to dream, and, while the drunkenness lasts, we will sell our bed,
      our philosophy, our religion, in our opulence."

      (The Poet - from Essays: Second Series (1844) by Ralph Waldo Emerson)

      I petition that we forgive the passionate their passion. Mary Jo
    • jerryjfortin@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1 6:08 AM
        In a message dated 01/04/2004 7:03:38 AM Mountain Standard Time,
        alcyon11@... writes:

        > I petition that we forgive the passionate their passion. Mary Jo

        That would seem wise Mary Jo. I will therefore plead for the humble
        forgiveness of all who I have offended through my inability to co-exist in pleasant
        debate.

        Jerry

      • Knott
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1 5:43 PM
          > I petition that we forgive the passionate their passion.

          And the murderers their passion for murdering...and the robbers their passion for
          greed...and the ambitious their passion for notariety... the glutton their passion
          for empty fulfillment ... The rapist for their desire.

          To me these might all be passions. Something is not inexcusable because it is
          desired, willed, wanted, or weaved. All passion is not good.

          Fried Pertaters
        • Mary Jo
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1 6:25 PM
            Fictive Parrot,

            I speak only of Trinidad's passion for lucidity and alcohol. No one
            else here seems to have any. However, feel free to extrapolate our
            little theatre of the absurd. Nobody does it with more panache than
            you, Knott. You are the surrealist supreme. Or is that Dadaist, a
            parlor nihilist. Or even, possibly an absurdist, a parlor
            existentialist. Oh all these labels. My label maker has run out of
            those neat little stickers. You can put whatever you like on your
            label.

            We love your little outbursts. It's the spice we crave.

            Mary Jo

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2 12:42 AM
              Chips,
              You're a Christian, man. Pass the salt.
              Sweet Vinegar

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2 12:43 AM
                Mary Jo,
                Trinidad's passion for lucidity! Give me strength!!
                Louise

                > Fictive Parrot,
                >
                > I speak only of Trinidad's passion for lucidity and alcohol. No
                one
                > else here seems to have any. However, feel free to extrapolate our
                > little theatre of the absurd. Nobody does it with more panache
                than
                > you, Knott. You are the surrealist supreme. Or is that Dadaist, a
                > parlor nihilist. Or even, possibly an absurdist, a parlor
                > existentialist. Oh all these labels. My label maker has run out of
                > those neat little stickers. You can put whatever you like on your
                > label.
                >
                > We love your little outbursts. It's the spice we crave.
                >
                > Mary Jo
                >
                > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <god@t...> wrote:
                > > > I petition that we forgive the passionate their passion.
                > >
                > > And the murderers their passion for murdering...and the robbers
                > their passion for
                > > greed...and the ambitious their passion for notariety... the
                > glutton their passion
                > > for empty fulfillment ... The rapist for their desire.
                > >
                > > To me these might all be passions. Something is not inexcusable
                > because it is
                > > desired, willed, wanted, or weaved. All passion is not good.
                > >
                > > Fried Pertaters
              • Knott
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2 8:06 AM
                  > You're a Christian, man. Pass the salt.

                  Who is the absurdist, me or you?

                  Former Foothold
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2 8:39 AM
                    Now I'm nervous - don't know much about mathematics ...

                    Delphic Dolphin