list?

  • Amanda Lemesonoka
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 4:47 AM
      hello everyone,

      i joined this group some time ago, then was posting quite actively for some months and enjoyed it. i'm thinking of resigning off now, but still wanted to make my lasts remarks about the on-going situation.

      my sense of responsibility includes also a very very strong sense of respect towards others. i think (in fact - i know) that actually those who don't have respect towards others are the ones with the lowest self-esteem. coming into a group, a list, a collective and creating hostile atmosphere, insulting others indicates just problems of the person who has done that (yes, i'm talking about trinidad). if i have a strong belief in my self, i don't go calling others lunatics just because they disagree with me or rather - that i don't understand them... awareness is also a part of responsibility. awareness of myself and others. just because you, trinidad, consider yourself to be very intelligent (and that i actually don't doubt at all, your posts clearly show your knowledge) doesn't mean that you are right and others are wrong. there are too much negative things already that we have to encounter all the time to be insulted in a list where most of the people should be intelligent and
      mindful...

      besides - Chris posted an address of another existential group at yahoo. i did join them for being curious. during past 2-3 weeks i got only 4 mails from that list, which seems miniscule comparing with this one, but what did strike me was that they really were about existentialism. the qualitty matters after all, not on-going showing off...

      some may think i'm exaggerating, but that is probably because most of the people are not willing to step out of the so comfortable frame they have developed around them. to be responsible is to care. not only for one-self but for others. to care about what you say and how you act. you might (i'm not addressing anyone personally right now) be the toughest person in the neighbourhood, but after you drop your mask - you are only human. as we all are.

      the very best and sincerest wishes :-)

      Amanda

      jerryjfortin@... wrote: It seems that many folks have rather entrenched positions with respect to
      most things, but how does that work in this forum of enlightened thinkers. Why
      is free speech a bad thing? Must everything conform to the interests of United
      States citizens? What of the impact of American culture on the international
      political situation? How is it that the majority rules concept not apply to
      foreign / international affairs?

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 6:17 AM
        Amanda,
        Please don't leave, though of course it's your decision in the end.
        I don't know if you have me in mind at all - things have got so
        ridiculously complicated, for me, because, without my expecting or
        intending it - and indeed with constant repeats of astonishment,
        even horror, at how words are interpreted - struggles pertaining to
        conflicts within my own locality here in Northern England
        kept 'escaping' into existlist ambience. For anyone offended by my
        words, please remember that I did my best to make everyone aware at
        the outset (first posting #24330) of the unusual nature of my
        thinking, and of the technical 'diagnosis' of schizophrenia I had
        been given.
        As far as this mysterious 'Trinidad' or 'trinidad' dispute is
        concerned, let me say that my jesting on this subject was linked in
        my own mind with my philosophical-political idea of 'perceptual
        imperialism'; so I was imagining the joke as being one of a
        resurgent British Empire invading and taking over this proud
        and 'forever free' exotic island. Now, the context for this humour
        was (a) the man who calls himself Trinidad Cruz was extremely rude
        to me and eduard, and upset me, and (b) I was having a little dig at
        the Americans, as, for example, the way they went into Grenada
        (under Reagan?), an action which Mrs. Thatcher, otherwise an utterly
        staunch ally of the US, and a personal friend of that famous actor,
        opposed on principle.
        Ultimately, though, politics is always secondary. I think, in life
        generally, for me, and always, on existlist, given the rules that
        have just been posted up for all of us to look at again,
        existential, i.e. philosophical-phenomenological considerations
        should drive our debate, and thus illumine and inform our
        understanding of contemporary politics and our sense of ourselves as
        citizens.
        To be absolutely clear, then, I am not in favour of political
        imperialism - it was a joke, TC, and I didn't mean to upset you.
        Louise
        P.S. Life is so strange - would I ever have found myself in such
        deep waters on this list, if eduard hadn't started teasing me about
        tuques?

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Lemesonoka <kamy_ams@y...>
        wrote:

        > hello everyone,
        >
        > i joined this group some time ago, then was posting quite actively
        for some months and enjoyed it. i'm thinking of resigning off now,
        but still wanted to make my lasts remarks about the on-going
        situation.

        > my sense of responsibility includes also a very very strong sense
        of respect towards others. i think (in fact - i know) that actually
        those who don't have respect towards others are the ones with the
        lowest self-esteem. coming into a group, a list, a collective and
        creating hostile atmosphere, insulting others indicates just
        problems of the person who has done that (yes, i'm talking about
        trinidad). if i have a strong belief in my self, i don't go calling
        others lunatics just because they disagree with me or rather - that
        i don't understand them... awareness is also a part of
        responsibility. awareness of myself and others. just because you,
        trinidad, consider yourself to be very intelligent (and that i
        actually don't doubt at all, your posts clearly show your knowledge)
        doesn't mean that you are right and others are wrong. there are too
        much negative things already that we have to encounter all the time
        to be insulted in a list where most of the people should be
        intelligent and
        > mindful...
        >
        > besides - Chris posted an address of another existential group at
        yahoo. i did join them for being curious. during past 2-3 weeks i
        got only 4 mails from that list, which seems miniscule comparing
        with this one, but what did strike me was that they really were
        about existentialism. the qualitty matters after all, not on-going
        showing off...

        > some may think i'm exaggerating, but that is probably because most
        of the people are not willing to step out of the so comfortable
        frame they have developed around them. to be responsible is to care.
        not only for one-self but for others. to care about what you say and
        how you act. you might (i'm not addressing anyone personally right
        now) be the toughest person in the neighbourhood, but after you drop
        your mask - you are only human. as we all are.

        > the very best and sincerest wishes :-)
        >
        > Amanda
        >

        > jerryjfortin@a... wrote: It seems that many folks have rather
        entrenched positions with respect to
        > most things, but how does that work in this forum of enlightened
        thinkers. Why
        > is free speech a bad thing? Must everything conform to the
        interests of United
        > States citizens? What of the impact of American culture on the
        international
        > political situation? How is it that the majority rules concept
        not apply to
        > foreign / international affairs?
        >

        > Jerry

        Service.