Re: Louise SPAMS Trinidad

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
      Susan,
      Are you kidding me here? You personally said that I wouldn't be
      thrown off the list for calling Sartre a dangerous jerk, because in
      your opinion he WAS an egotistical jerk, or something like that.
      Has Trinidad been reprimanded for calling eduard a pompous old fart,
      or for suggesting I should get a clue or else a life?
      I look simply for consistency, honour, respect. Unfortunately, I
      now have to be a little more specific about people in my own
      vicinity, lurkers, I believe, in denial, and evasive. There is a
      local man who wishes to be a kind of magical (not magickal)
      Mohammed, and maybe hasn't realised yet that he's Abel, though still
      alive.
      And as it's too distressing as yet to speak to Bill directly, I'ld
      say, if I may, the thing that isn't as bad as you think doesn't
      exist - it's a trick of the mind, created by the complexities of
      culture. The personal stuff, about my body, well, that's been
      hurled in my face and behind my back, for years.
      Louise
      ... whose neurons are doing fine, because of honourable eduard,
      who's far more than extremely intelligent ...

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@t...>
      wrote:
      > Louise -
      >
      > Let's keep the personal attacks to yourself. No name calling here.
      >

      > On Wednesday, March 31, 2004, at 10:00 AM, louise wrote:
      >
      > > Thanks, Jerry,
      > > I've already forgotten that particular idiot - another jerk who
      > > fancies himself as someone else, and hasn't yet woken up to the
      fact
      > > he's in an existentialist group, for crying out loud.
      > > Louise
      > >
      > > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, jerryjfortin@a... wrote:
      > >> Louise,
      > >>
      > >> Don't take it too seriously, there are many strange birds under
      > > the sun.
      > >> Feel free, live free, stand when you want to and sit when it
      suits
      > > you. There are
      > >> many who choose to insult or complain, but there are some choose
      > > to support,
      > >> there always is.
      > >>
      > >> Take care
      > >> Jerry

      > > ---------------------~-->
      > > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
      Lexmark
      > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US
      &
      > > Canada.
      > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ACsqlB/TM

    • Susan Schnelbach
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
        Calling Sartre, or any other writer, a jerk is not a personal attack.
        That is an opinion.

        If Sartre was a member of this group, calling him a jerk would be a
        personal attack.

        >>> http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        >>> http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ACsqlB/TM

        > ---------------------~-->
        > Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ACsqlB/TM

      • Mary Jo
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 1, 2004
          Hello Susan,

          Just like in everyday life, the children command most of our
          attention, I guess it shouldn't be any different in this format. I do
          think it's a shame that someone with fresh ideas and something
          worthwhile to contribute should be driven off with drivel. There is
          nothing more frustrating for adults to have to deal with other adults
          who act like children. As the daughter of a schizophrenic, I speak
          with a poignant experience. Many children of the parents who are
          mentally ill or afflicted with Alzheimers know how difficult it is.
          Adults have rights and often assert them, but they behave as
          children, and we are forced into treating them like children.
          Fortunate are those who can deal with this existential conundrum. It
          takes great courage and acceptance of our mutual human frailty.

          Take care,
          Mary Jo

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
            Susan,
            I notice you don't answer my question about Trinidad's insults.
            Also, your idea that calling Sartre a jerk is not a personal attack -
            or, as CSW did, casually re-telling an unfunny joke about Nietzsche
            being a sociopath - well, that shows that your own relationship to
            existentialism is purely cerebral. Like FN, I feel my philosophical
            ideas in my gut; if anyone insults a philosopher I love, whether
            living or dead, it's like a punch ion the gut. That's why I get
            angry. Can't you at least imagine your way into that? Suppose
            someone told a sick joke about a cat of yours that had died ...
            Louise

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
              Mary Jo,
              On one of my rare surfing sessions, back on 14 March, I discovered
              ROMUNIVERSE.COM
              Thought you might appreciate a choice selection from their 'Funny
              Misc. Stuff' -

              #Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their
              shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and
              you have their shoes.

              #Thank you for not annoying me more than you do.

              #Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

              #If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

              #It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.

              #I'm extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

              #I'd like to help you out; which way did you come in?

              #I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. This wasn't it.

              #Well this day was a total waste of make-up.

              madwoman smiling at grief

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 2, 2004
                You do not personally know Sartre or Nietzsche, therefore someone
                rendering an opinion on them does not have anything to do with you.
                Calling Sartre a jerk, after reading about his personality or behavior
                is not a personal attack since he is not a member of this list.
                Personal attacks are insults directed at someone here.

                If you disagree with someone's opinion on a philosopher you like,
                intelligently offer a differing viewpoint, backing it up with evidence.
                That is what this group is here for. Besides, admiring someone's
                writing has nothing to do with liking them personally. Nietzsche may
                very well have been a sociopath, there's no shame in that unless you
                are also a murdering sociopath. Having sociopathic tendencies is just
                as much a mental aberration/abnormality as being schizophrenic.
                Nietzsche would not have any more control over sociopathic tendencies
                than someone who was autistic or neurotic or pyschotic.

                Telling a sick joke about a dead pet, child, or parent is greatly
                different from telling a joke about a public figure you don't know and
                who died long ago. Besides, I can't think of what a joke about
                someone's mental defects would be and don't believe Christopher would
                have said something like that as a joke.

                As for Trinidad, I have no idea. I believe that insult occurred some
                time ago. It not, then I simply may not have caught it, or I privately
                asking him to cease and desist. As I've said before, many times, I
                don't read all posts thoroughly. I don't have the time to do that.

                And no, I am not an existentialist. Nor do I voluntarily read the
                literature of that time period (I believe the last time I read any of
                the traditional existentialists was in high school). I am here to make
                sure you all stay somewhat on topic and don't start hurling verbal
                knives at each other. I don't have to have an interest in existential
                literature or philosophers to do that.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 3, 2004
                  Susan,
                  Wow! I have no personal animus toward you at all, and appreciate
                  you're busy and acting in good faith within your own believed
                  parameters of value; but that statement of yours, that you don't
                  have to be an existentialist in order to keep us all on topic is so
                  amazing to me that I haven't closed my mouth yet.
                  I have actually had private messages of support; and though I
                  absolutely believe you never intended it, for me the worst 'verbal
                  knives' have emanated from you as moderator, castigating and
                  instructing me both on this message board and to my mail-box.
                  However, now this is all out in the open, and after much sleep last
                  evening and overnight, I have to say I feel like a new person, so to
                  speak, and hope there'll be no more need for controversy, at least
                  from my quarter. I came to this group to discuss philosophy, and
                  never in the world to seek therapy, which is the last thing I need,
                  in my opinion; and I wish to continue discussing philosophy here for
                  as long as possible or needful.
                  With all good wishes,
                  Louise

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2004
                    --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "cribprdb" <trinidad@i...> wrote:
                    > Louise
                    >
                    > Please don't reply to my answers to questions from others with
                    > unrelated subject matter. Follow the thread. If you want to babble
                    > on unrelated matters just open a new thread. What you are doing
                    > amounts to SPAM. I have just opened this thread for you. Enjoy.
                    >
                    > If you want to correspond with me e-mail me privately. You can
                    SPAM
                    > away there. The list is a service to other people besides you.
                    >
                    > Trinidad

                    - Unclear, and probably uninteresting. Comments?