What is the point?

  • jerryjfortin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31 3:00 PM
      It seems that many folks have rather entrenched positions with respect to
      most things, but how does that work in this forum of enlightened thinkers. Why
      is free speech a bad thing? Must everything conform to the interests of United
      States citizens? What of the impact of American culture on the international
      political situation? How is it that the majority rules concept not apply to
      foreign / international affairs?

      Jerry

    • Amanda Lemesonoka
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
        hello everyone,

        i joined this group some time ago, then was posting quite actively for some months and enjoyed it. i'm thinking of resigning off now, but still wanted to make my lasts remarks about the on-going situation.

        my sense of responsibility includes also a very very strong sense of respect towards others. i think (in fact - i know) that actually those who don't have respect towards others are the ones with the lowest self-esteem. coming into a group, a list, a collective and creating hostile atmosphere, insulting others indicates just problems of the person who has done that (yes, i'm talking about trinidad). if i have a strong belief in my self, i don't go calling others lunatics just because they disagree with me or rather - that i don't understand them... awareness is also a part of responsibility. awareness of myself and others. just because you, trinidad, consider yourself to be very intelligent (and that i actually don't doubt at all, your posts clearly show your knowledge) doesn't mean that you are right and others are wrong. there are too much negative things already that we have to encounter all the time to be insulted in a list where most of the people should be intelligent and
        mindful...

        besides - Chris posted an address of another existential group at yahoo. i did join them for being curious. during past 2-3 weeks i got only 4 mails from that list, which seems miniscule comparing with this one, but what did strike me was that they really were about existentialism. the qualitty matters after all, not on-going showing off...

        some may think i'm exaggerating, but that is probably because most of the people are not willing to step out of the so comfortable frame they have developed around them. to be responsible is to care. not only for one-self but for others. to care about what you say and how you act. you might (i'm not addressing anyone personally right now) be the toughest person in the neighbourhood, but after you drop your mask - you are only human. as we all are.

        the very best and sincerest wishes :-)

        Amanda

        jerryjfortin@... wrote: It seems that many folks have rather entrenched positions with respect to

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
          Amanda,
          Please don't leave, though of course it's your decision in the end.
          I don't know if you have me in mind at all - things have got so
          ridiculously complicated, for me, because, without my expecting or
          intending it - and indeed with constant repeats of astonishment,
          even horror, at how words are interpreted - struggles pertaining to
          conflicts within my own locality here in Northern England
          kept 'escaping' into existlist ambience. For anyone offended by my
          words, please remember that I did my best to make everyone aware at
          the outset (first posting #24330) of the unusual nature of my
          thinking, and of the technical 'diagnosis' of schizophrenia I had
          been given.
          As far as this mysterious 'Trinidad' or 'trinidad' dispute is
          concerned, let me say that my jesting on this subject was linked in
          my own mind with my philosophical-political idea of 'perceptual
          imperialism'; so I was imagining the joke as being one of a
          resurgent British Empire invading and taking over this proud
          and 'forever free' exotic island. Now, the context for this humour
          was (a) the man who calls himself Trinidad Cruz was extremely rude
          to me and eduard, and upset me, and (b) I was having a little dig at
          the Americans, as, for example, the way they went into Grenada
          (under Reagan?), an action which Mrs. Thatcher, otherwise an utterly
          staunch ally of the US, and a personal friend of that famous actor,
          opposed on principle.
          Ultimately, though, politics is always secondary. I think, in life
          generally, for me, and always, on existlist, given the rules that
          have just been posted up for all of us to look at again,
          existential, i.e. philosophical-phenomenological considerations
          should drive our debate, and thus illumine and inform our
          understanding of contemporary politics and our sense of ourselves as
          citizens.
          To be absolutely clear, then, I am not in favour of political
          imperialism - it was a joke, TC, and I didn't mean to upset you.
          Louise
          P.S. Life is so strange - would I ever have found myself in such
          deep waters on this list, if eduard hadn't started teasing me about
          tuques?

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Lemesonoka <kamy_ams@y...>
          wrote:

          > hello everyone,
          >
          > i joined this group some time ago, then was posting quite actively
          for some months and enjoyed it. i'm thinking of resigning off now,
          but still wanted to make my lasts remarks about the on-going
          situation.

          > my sense of responsibility includes also a very very strong sense
          of respect towards others. i think (in fact - i know) that actually
          those who don't have respect towards others are the ones with the
          lowest self-esteem. coming into a group, a list, a collective and
          creating hostile atmosphere, insulting others indicates just
          problems of the person who has done that (yes, i'm talking about
          trinidad). if i have a strong belief in my self, i don't go calling
          others lunatics just because they disagree with me or rather - that
          i don't understand them... awareness is also a part of
          responsibility. awareness of myself and others. just because you,
          trinidad, consider yourself to be very intelligent (and that i
          actually don't doubt at all, your posts clearly show your knowledge)
          doesn't mean that you are right and others are wrong. there are too
          much negative things already that we have to encounter all the time
          to be insulted in a list where most of the people should be
          intelligent and
          > mindful...
          >
          > besides - Chris posted an address of another existential group at
          yahoo. i did join them for being curious. during past 2-3 weeks i
          got only 4 mails from that list, which seems miniscule comparing
          with this one, but what did strike me was that they really were
          about existentialism. the qualitty matters after all, not on-going
          showing off...

          > some may think i'm exaggerating, but that is probably because most
          of the people are not willing to step out of the so comfortable
          frame they have developed around them. to be responsible is to care.
          not only for one-self but for others. to care about what you say and
          how you act. you might (i'm not addressing anyone personally right
          now) be the toughest person in the neighbourhood, but after you drop
          your mask - you are only human. as we all are.

          > the very best and sincerest wishes :-)
          >
          > Amanda
          >

          > jerryjfortin@a... wrote: It seems that many folks have rather
          entrenched positions with respect to
          > most things, but how does that work in this forum of enlightened
          thinkers. Why
          > is free speech a bad thing? Must everything conform to the
          interests of United
          > States citizens? What of the impact of American culture on the
          international
          > political situation? How is it that the majority rules concept
          not apply to
          > foreign / international affairs?
          >

          > Jerry

          Service.