Bill

  • jerryjfortin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2004
      His name is Bill. He has wild hair, wears T-shirt with holes in it, jeans,
      and no shoes.
      This was literally his wardrobe for his entire four years of college. He is
      brilliant - kind of esoteric; and very, very bright. He became a Christian
      while attending college.

      Across the street from the campus is a
      well-dressed, very conservative church. They want to develop a ministry to
      the students, but are not sure how to go about it.

      One day Bill decides to go there. He walks in with no shoes, wearing jeans,
      his T-shirt, and wild hair.

      The service has already started so Bill starts
      down the aisle looking for a seat. The church is completely packed and he
      can't find a seat. By now, people are really looking a bit uncomfortable, but
      no one says anything. Bill gets closer and closer and closer to the pulpit,
      and when he realizes there are no seats, he just squats down right on the
      carpet.

      (Although perfectly acceptable behavior at a
      college fellowship, trust me, this had never
      happened in this church before!)

      By now the people are really uptight, and the tension in the air is thick.
      About this time, the minister realizes that, from way at the back of he church,
      a deacon is slowly making his way toward Bill.

      Now the deacon is in his eighties, has silver-gray hair, and a three-piece
      suit. A godly man - very elegant - very dignified - very courtly. He walks with
      a cane and, as he starts walking toward this boy, everyone is saying to
      themselves that you can't blame him for what he's going to do. How can you
      expect a man of his age and of his background to understand some college kid
      on the floor?

      It takes a long time for the man to reach the boy. The church is utterly
      silent except for the clicking of the man's cane. All eyes are focused on him. You
      can't even hear anyone breathing. The minister can't even preach the sermon
      until the deacon does what he
      has to do.

      And now they see this elderly man drop his cane on the floor. With great
      difficulty, he lowers himself and sits down next to Bill and worships with him so
      he won't be alone. Everyone chokes up with emotion.

      When the minister gains control, he says, "What I'm about to preach, you will
      never remember. What you have just seen, you will never forget. Be careful
      how you live. You may be the only Bible some people will ever read."

      Pass this to People you want God to Bless. I DID!

      This is why I am the way I am......

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 14, 2013
        We haven't seen any posts from him here or in his discussion group since March 2nd, so I began to worry. It is with great sadness that I tell you Bill died of a heart attack in his home the next day. I will miss him.

        Mary
      • existlist
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 14, 2013
          Thank you. I will miss him. I had been reading him for years. Too bad he didn't get a few more weeks of retirement before he died.
          h.

          > We haven't seen any posts from him here or in his discussion group since March 2nd, so I began to worry. It is with great sadness that I tell you Bill died of a heart attack in his home the next day. I will miss him.
          >
          > Mary

        • Peter ciccariello
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 14, 2013
            Oh Mary, such terrible news.
            What a brilliant, turbulent and sensitive human being, he will be deeply
            missed. Somehow, he was like family, the somewhat cantankerous uncle that
            always had a story to tell.

            All the best Bill, on your journey, May the wind always be at your
            back......

            - Peter

          • shadowed_statue
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 14, 2013
              Mary,

              This news comes as a shock. Thank you for telling us. Bill's presence was so vibrant, through his writing at the group, that I cannot quite take in the silence that succeeds his life. I echo eveything that Peter has said. I too will miss him.

              Louise

              > We haven't seen any posts from him here or in his discussion group since March 2nd, so I began to worry. It is with great sadness that I tell you Bill died of a heart attack in his home the next day. I will miss him.
              >
              > Mary

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
                All,

                I am sorry to hear of Bill's sudden death. I agree with what others have written.

                Although Bill and I were at crossed swords much of the time, I always found his posts stimulating reading. He offered strident criticism of my views and outlook from which I have benefited.

                Jim
              • eupraxis
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
                  Sorry to hear it, too.