Re: [existlist] fast food philosophy

  • Tony Lea
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 3, 2001
      > Fast food philosophy has alot of use. For instance, when taking
      Heidegger,
      > you'd have to be an idiot like me to delve straight into Introduction to
      > Metaphysics.

      Hi Ryan,

      With a non-English-speaking philosopher like Heidegger, we English
      monolinguals (is that the word?) are reading an interpretation anyway -
      apparently there is no direct English translation of the vital word
      "dasein." And since translators interpret differently, it's best to read a
      number of them.

      I didn't mean to cast aspersions on interpretive works of philosophers - I
      meant that the vast majority of people today neither look for nor want to
      see or read in movies or books anything that isn't blatantly presented.

      Tony
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 5, 2001
        james,

        this is getting a bit over my head ... i just dont like the
        idea of absolute ... it implies that we would never be able
        to explore much beyond the closest stars and certainly not
        to major galaxies like Andromeda ...

        have fun ...