Re: [existlist] To anyone that has looked at CSWyatt's site

  • james tan
    Message 1 of 48 , Jul 2 8:49 AM
      the work in our office is enough to 'kill', if not drain all our energy; the
      next best thing to do after office is to spend some quality time with wife
      and children, or rest in peace. there is very little motivation to do the
      'impractical' things, such as reading philosophy. all the 'philosophy' we
      ever need is already in us by the age/time we work. read philosophy? maybe
      in university, but when one has a family, wife and children are always
      crying for time, and certainly any family outing or needs or wants require
      cash...

      james.

      From: "Tony Lea" <tonylea@...>
      To: <existlist@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [existlist] To anyone that has looked at CSWyatt's site
      Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 02:12:30 -0400

      >no one cares about the further growth of one's
      > knowledge.. only the number on their bank account reciept...

      I think philosophy is not popular because people are too busy to read
      anything they have to spend time thinking about. They want their philosophy
      fed to them like fast food - hence the popularity of self-help books.
      Everything is delivered in a simple, easily-digested form with no need for
      interpretation.

      Tony

    • Eduard Alf
      Message 48 of 48 , Jul 5 1:23 PM
        james,

        this is getting a bit over my head ... i just dont like the
        idea of absolute ... it implies that we would never be able
        to explore much beyond the closest stars and certainly not
        to major galaxies like Andromeda ...

        have fun ...