RE: [existlist] Re: Politics and the Existential

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 26, 2001
      Jim,

      on the one hand i agree with what you are saying, but
      something inside me thinks that society would indeed fall
      apart if we didnt have laws ... regardless of the type of
      laws ... like you have to crack your eggs open at only the
      pointy end [or is it the larger end] ... and those who are
      found to crack their eggs at the wrong end are rushed off to
      prison or simply given a criminal record that will follow
      them for the rest of their lives ... today it is cracking
      eggs at the wrong end and tomorrow it is murder, rape and
      pillage ... do we need laws, because in a sense these laws
      define and aid the society? ... im thinking things like the
      Jewish society which was defined and made to survive because
      you couldnt throw dish water out the window on the Sabbath

      Message 39 of 39 , Jun 26, 2001
        In a message dated 6/26/01 5:47:42 PM Central Daylight Time,
        livewild@... writes:

        << You do this act, regardlesss if you harmed anyone
        or not, then you get punished >>

        Just a quick idea. Perhaps part of this mentality having been around so long
        is that ever since Constantin became christian and christian ethics/morals
        became the norm, these christian ethics have permeated every legal system
        where christianity has become the majority of the people, (and that is ALOT
        of countries). Anyone who knows anything about christianity knows that for
        almost every denomination, the belief is held in the absolute right or wrong
        of an action, regardless of consequences. That is why the laws are so
        absolute today.

        Ryan
        ps. I am in strong support of livewild's way of thinking.
        pss. This thinking is also prevalent in Islamic states as well.