Re: Digest Number 70

  • anunda
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 1999
      Having been quietly watching this list for some time now,
      I am at a loss to understand
      what is the focus of this list ..

      Is it about existence
      or
      existentialism?

      If it is the latter, I wonder if someone on this list
      could enlighten an old man by defining
      what they understand by the term "existential"
      so that he might better understand the essence
      of the discourse.

      _________________________________-

      A time ago, a very respected friend of mine ...
      who was one of my lecturers said to me ..

      "I can tell you everything I know,
      I can give you all the tools,
      I can point you in the direction of all the great thinkers and their works
      and you can study and learn all of these things ..

      and then you will sit an examination,
      and write a paper

      and you will receive a piece of paper from this institution
      which will put letters after your name
      to tell the world
      you are a well versed parrot ...

      unless of course ...

      you take all of these things and apply them to yourself and your life ..
      and learn from the limited perspectives of those you read ...

      then you might become an apprentice therapist.

      Just remember .. a lot of what you are taught
      has been written by people
      who have been dead a very long time

      and if you hold onto their words as the reference point
      for your perspective
      so will you be also"

      Christopher Wynter
      Hobart Tasmania