Re: [existlist] Historical Grudges, was Re: Independent George meets Relation...

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1 7:46 AM
      These "people", whatever you wish to call "them" disagree amongst themselves as to what the proper terminology should be. Some AmerInd women hate the word "squaw", and some embrace it. When speaking of a greater ethnic group it would be impossible to list every single tribe and nation. Give me a total break. When someone uses the term American, African, European, or even specific countries, etc. do we pause to list each and every ethnic group? As an American with a substantial AmerInd heritage, this just all sounds silly to me. Vine Deloria, Jr., one of my favorite activist/lawyer/writers uses the term "Indian". So there.

      Mary Jo

      jerryjfortin@... wrote:
      In a message dated 29/02/2004 2:39:59 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      susan@... writes:

      > I disagree with the use of the term 'American Indian.'

      Thats good Susan because I think "they" do too. Up here we call them Members
      of the First Nations. We make no distinction between tribes, that would
      require an informed opinion on peoples of the First Nations, which we decidedly
      don't have.

      Jerry

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1 6:39 PM
        In a message dated 01/03/2004 7:05:45 PM Mountain Standard Time,
        alcyon11@... writes:

        > As an American with a substantial AmerInd heritage, this just all sounds
        > silly to me. Vine Deloria, Jr., one of my favorite activist/lawyer/writers uses
        > the term "Indian". So there.

        I think I have been told.......
        My apologies Mary Jo, my intent was not to insult or degrade. As a matter of
        fact, believe it or not, my intent was to make you aware that I thought it
        was a term of disrespect. I thought I was actually defending the individual I
        thought was being slandered. Just goes to show you how much I don't know.

        At any rate, my apologies once again.

        Jerry

        Jerry

      • eduard at home
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1 6:45 PM
          Mary Jo,

          I don't know about Vine Deloria Jr., but the proper name is "First Nations", just as it is not appropriate to refer to "Eskimos" but rather to the "Inuit". When one is speaking about the population of some country, it is proper to refer to an ethnic group if this is necessary for clarity of the description. It is not the case that one should at the same time list each and every ethnic group.

          susan@... writes:

          > I disagree with the use of the term 'American Indian.'

          Thats good Susan because I think "they" do too. Up here we call them Members
          of the First Nations. We make no distinction between tribes, that would
          require an informed opinion on peoples of the First Nations, which we decidedly
          don't have.

          Jerry

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • alcyon11
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1 6:56 PM
            Jerry,

            My retort wasn't directed at anyone in particular but the notion that
            all AmerInd's agree about everything all the time. That would enforce
            a stereotype wouldn't it? You needn't apologize, but since you were
            so gracious, your apology is accepted :-) From your body of posts in
            this group, I'd say your heart is always in the right place. You care
            about things getting better. That's always a good thing. Not that
            it's any of my business!

            Mary Jo

          • jerryjfortin@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1 7:03 PM
              In a message dated 01/03/2004 7:58:18 PM Mountain Standard Time,
              alcyon11@... writes:

              > Jerry,
              >
              > My retort wasn't directed at anyone in particular but the notion that
              > all AmerInd's agree about everything all the time. That would enforce
              > a stereotype wouldn't it? You needn't apologize, but since you were
              > so gracious, your apology is accepted :-) From your body of posts in
              > this group, I'd say your heart is always in the right place. You care
              > about things getting better. That's always a good thing. Not that
              > it's any of my business!
              >
              > Mary Jo

              Mary Jo, in my heart discrimination is one of the greatest of crimes. It
              rates right up there with the abuse of women and children, sex crimes and the
              like. I have a black brother in law, a Chinese brother in law, black cousins
              etc. They are just people, but they are my people, and I take offense at the
              individuals who would harm them.

              Jerry

            • alcyon11
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1 7:11 PM
                Jerry,

                You're a mensch, an upright man, a decent human being. It's a
                wonderful Yiddish expression. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

                Mary Jo

                <Mary Jo, in my heart discrimination is one of the greatest of
                crimes. It rates right up there with the abuse of women and children,
                sex crimes and the like. I have a black brother in law, a Chinese
                brother in law, black cousins etc. They are just people, but they are
                my people, and I take offense at the individuals who would harm
                them.> - Jerry

                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, jerryjfortin@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 01/03/2004 7:58:18 PM Mountain Standard Time,
                > alcyon11@y... writes:
                >
                > > Jerry,
                > >
                > > My retort wasn't directed at anyone in particular but the notion
                that
                > > all AmerInd's agree about everything all the time. That would
                enforce
                > > a stereotype wouldn't it? You needn't apologize, but since you
                were
                > > so gracious, your apology is accepted :-) From your body of posts
                in
                > > this group, I'd say your heart is always in the right place. You
                care
                > > about things getting better. That's always a good thing. Not that
                > > it's any of my business!
                > >
                > > Mary Jo
                > >

                > Mary Jo, in my heart discrimination is one of the greatest of
                crimes. It
                > rates right up there with the abuse of women and children, sex
                crimes and the
                > like. I have a black brother in law, a Chinese brother in law,
                black cousins
                > etc. They are just people, but they are my people, and I take
                offense at the
                > individuals who would harm them.
                >
                > Jerry

              • Susan Schnelbach
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1 9:41 PM
                  I kinda like the "First Nations" term. It seems more appropriate than
                  "Indian," (since that's confusing when speaking to or about someone
                  from India) but I've never heard "First Nations" used before this.

                  On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 06:45 PM, eduard at home wrote:

                  > Mary Jo,
                  >
                  > I don't know about Vine Deloria Jr., but the proper name is "First
                  > Nations", just as it is not appropriate to refer to "Eskimos" but
                  > rather to the "Inuit". When one is speaking about the population of
                  > some country, it is proper to refer to an ethnic group if this is
                  > necessary for clarity of the description. It is not the case that one
                  > should at the same time list each and every ethnic group.
                  >
                  > eduard

                • Susan Schnelbach
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1 9:43 PM
                    Yeah, Mary Jo, my intent wasn't to assume all AmerInds thought the
                    same, either. I just dislike gross grouping like that typically used
                    when discussing "African" issues. Such large groups of diverse
                    ethnicities can't really be lumped under one racial/continental
                    description.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2 2:17 AM
                      Jerry,

                      If this has anything to do with me, I think I should confess that I
                      suspect myself of having aimed a barb at someone else (a northern
                      namesake), by letting a magical arrow pass through you. If anyone
                      should apologise, it's me, but I've given up the habit...

                      Louise

                    • jerryjfortin@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2 6:04 AM
                        In a message dated 02/03/2004 3:53:16 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                        hecubatoher@... writes:

                        > Jerry,
                        >
                        > If this has anything to do with me, I think I should confess that I
                        > suspect myself of having aimed a barb at someone else (a northern
                        > namesake), by letting a magical arrow pass through you. If anyone
                        > should apologise, it's me, but I've given up the habit...
                        >
                        > Louise

                        Ah Louise,

                        your writting style pleases me greatly. Fear not and fret not for I have not
                        seen the barbed arrow.

                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2 6:14 AM
                          Jerry,

                          That's excellent, but, though I may be wrong, I think your doomsday
                          interpretation looks rather different from where I stand in County
                          Durham. The habit is not simply that of Luther, but of Abelard.

                          Louise

                          still Christianly loving you, and moonlighting with the lords...

                        • jerryjfortin@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2 6:33 AM
                            In a message dated 02/03/2004 7:17:08 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                            hecubatoher@... writes:

                            > Jerry,
                            >
                            > That's excellent, but, though I may be wrong, I think your doomsday
                            > interpretation looks rather different from where I stand in County
                            > Durham. The habit is not simply that of Luther, but of Abelard.
                            >
                            > Louise

                            What Doomsday?

                            Jerry