Re: [existlist] Freedoms

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2004
      Chris,

      That is a long general question ...

      "Free" amounts to "free" within the constraints of whatever laws may be imposed. Quebec has a lot of laws that limit what I can do. But then for most of them, I could do a trace to something that I would approve of. For example, it is against the law to change the natural setting of a river bank with something like 50ft of the nominal water's edge. You cant run a lawn down to the beach, nor can you bring in sand to make a different beach that would be there naturally.

      But then it is also possible for the government to hold a referendum to separate the province of Quebec from Canada ... in which case I would have to join others in fighting [on a legal basis] to separate this area from Quebec. But then the past referendums have been lost by the separatist faction and it is now unlikely that there will be another.

      So sometimes I don't have freedom in the face of special interest referendums.

      On the national level, the federal government is reluctant to hold referendums. The government considers that it is composed our "representatives" and as such they make decisions for us. For example, the bringing in of the hated GST and the metric system. Albeit, I am in agreement with the latter.

      But then I suppose all that is part of living in a society.

      Overall, however, I judge that I have significant freedom in Quebec and Canada. Within whatever constraints there may be, I can do as I please. I don't have some religious organization looking over my shoulder. I have clean streets and a high level of security. I don't feel that I have to lock my doors at night or when I go into town for a short time.

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2004
        From the moment when individual gets involved into a social structure, he does lose some freedom. Although I look at this loss as very flexible one – many say they’re unhappy because of the society, of the country they live in. But if you don’t like the job – look for another, if you think that everything’s wrong in your country – go abroad. Would that last step solve anything? If I’d go to another country, why should I expect that the laws would be wiser there, people more reasonable, government more willing to do changes?

        Other way to solve something is to make changes happen yourself. But in the level where we talk about social structures, that’s not so easy. To do something notable, I have to have supporters. So again – are purely individualistic protests or efforts efficient?

        If I lose the wonderful idea that “I can change the world”, it becomes more easier to live and accept what’s happening. And that doesn’t mean giving up on action. Just live within the limits of freedom that you can’t escape, and do everything you can to make some things change without expect wonders to happen.

        I think that the limit of freedom is more referable to one’s “social role” or “stand”. But there is a sphere where I do have “the most” freedom – that is my personality, me as a person. I am free to define myself, to develop my character, to maintain relationships with people who are close or dear to me, to have some interests. And as I consider this part to be more important over my job, main studies, formal relationships, then I do feel free.
        Amanda