Re: Historical Grudges

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      As to Existentialism and national histories, I'm an idealist. I don't believe in borders or nationalism. Tribes, societies, ethnic enclaves, etc. are a more natural structure; however they too can lead to hatred and war as we well know. I view history as a movement of peoples from one land area to another (sometimes forcibly), therefore it isn't really bound by geography but driven by other forces. History is an organized approach to peoples and their past. It's easier to study ethnic/cultural entities that were more isolated than the European and the western Asian people who were on the move for millenia. Some people try to organize ethnically, and some people try to organize geographically. History is definitely fascinating, and it's very difficult to study any one nation's history given emigrations. Any one bordered nation has had a different mix of ethnicity in its history, as a rule. It's not so much true these days, except for refugees of wars and famines.That's why it's
      incomprehensible to me that many Americans can't even learn our "short" history.

      Mary Jo