Re: [existlist] Powerlessness, was Re: Democracy, was Re: Bigotry

  • jerryjfortin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 76 , Mar 1, 2004
      In a message dated 29/02/2004 1:52:18 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      existlist1@... writes:

      > I don't see why we should even aim, for "super powers" when a I think
      > the United States and Europe would both benefit from smaller
      > government. The notion of larger governments simple scares me because
      > it dilutes each voter, but grants more power to larger organizations
      > and corporations -- which can control messages on a global scale.
      >
      > - CSW

      I wholeheartedly agree! I did not say I wanted those things to happen, but
      instead I decared that they will happen. The reason for it is plain, each
      little government or big government that business has to deal with costs them time
      and money. Witness the WTO and the World Bank, in a very short time there
      will be sufficient leverage (financial) to pressure even superpowers to knuckle
      under and accept the commitments of "FREE TRADE". Business interests want
      this so-called free trade badly. It is not real you understand, because it does
      not apply to citizens it applies to business. The proff is in the pudding,
      NAFTA is my nchosen example. Business can conduct cross-border transactions,
      import and export goods or services till the cows come home without having to
      pay any duty, for the most part. That does not apply to citizens. The law is
      therefore slanted toward business with a decided restriction placed on living
      breathing citizens. The WTO is a multinational business lobby that already is
      able to exercise an incredible amount of economic leverage. They are able to
      focus that leverage, and that equates to influence. The influence translates
      into political power, which is then transformed into corporate governance.
      As we speak national sovereignty over certain econmic matters is already
      diminishing. The effects are designed to cascade over time, and the end result will
      be an economic agenda with poitical overtones. Governments will be compelled
      to act in accordance with economic treaties that will serve to further the
      cause of corporate goverance.

      Jerry

    • jerryjfortin@aol.com
      Message 76 of 76 , Mar 2, 2004
        In a message dated 02/03/2004 7:18:08 AM Mountain Standard Time,
        kamy_ams@... writes:

        > Jerry,
        >
        > that is exactly the point - it is business that drives globalisation on. it
        > is still going to take some time before the clash between business interests
        > and national interests will happen, but that is inevitable. hm an interesting
        > thought came to my mind - is this the time, when minority is deciding the
        > lives of majority? we talked a bit about how minority has to follow the rules
        > provided by the majority, but this situation is opposite, isn't it? it is
        > elitarian public that is deciding countries roles in global scene?
        >
        > Amanda

        I believe you are exactly right on this matter. Conflict will occur, and it
        is a question of morality and ethics. From my viewpoint it is a question of
        morality from the viewpoint of business it is only ethics.

        Jerry