ethics, morality

  • Amanda Lemesonoka
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 29, 2004
      Susan,

      yes, i do think that following a rule could be ethical, not moral. but this is very difficult question - how does one determine the relation of being ethical - not moral. how far would i go, being ethical, but not being moral? or being moral, but not ethical?

      Amanda

      Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote: Amanda -

      So, does this cycle back around to the previous posts of 'morals'
      versus 'ethics?'

      If ethics are the rules of society and morals are one's personal
      beliefs and values, then following society's rules, even when wrong
      would be being ethical, but not moral, right?

      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 1, 2005
        the water's cold, Cameron, but then i'm British

        Louise

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
        > Cameron,
        >
        > I tend to agree with you. I expressed this before, but I will
        repeat it.

        > Ethics is the study of morality and behavour. So the word of
        itself does not imply a specific of application. It is best to use
        a qualifying adjective [e.g. a personal morality or a social
        morality] so that there is not a confusion.

        > eduard

        (That's