Re: [existlist] Re: Independent George meets Relationship George

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
      Seinfeld was the best TV series in history. But then some people did not like it. Personally, I think it is as Existentialist as you can get.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
        eduard,
        maybe there really are massive gulfs between different
        nationalities, as well as between different individuals. i fear you
        would think it a joke, at best, if i said that i haven't, as an
        englishwoman and a northerner, ever really recovered from the
        knowledge of what happened during William the Conqueror's savage
        subjugation of the land of my ancestors, even though now, of course,
        i am many times over descended from those Normans.
        maybe you canadians are in general much closer to americans than to
        us english, for example; though the generalisation may be
        ludicrous. should all this be 'water off a duck's back'?
        louise

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
        > Seinfeld was the best TV series in history. But then some people
        did not like it. Personally, I think it is as Existentialist as you
        can get.

        > eduard
        George

        > eduard,
        > i might understand the last sentence, but am unsure of the
        rest.
        > have seen a bit of 'seinfeld', but wasn't really my cup of tea.
        > louise

      • Susan Schnelbach
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
          I recall that episode - one of the few episodes of Seinfeld I saw. It
          was an interesting description of our needs and desires to keep certain
          aspects of our lives compartmentalized and controlled.

          Do we do this as a need to keep our lives under control? Is control an
          illusion? Or would it be more fun to just mix it all up and serve warm?

        • Susan Schnelbach
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
            Louise -

            This is actually similar to a conversation CSW and I had recently. He
            was pointing out the primary difference between Europeans and
            Americans/Canadians - we live in the present because we HAVE no history
            going back hundreds or thousands of years. We couldn't care less what
            happened in 1066 because it has no bearing on immediate life. Americans
            and Canadians aren't surrounded by buildings and history going back
            more than 200 years, so in effect, we have no constant reminders of
            occupation, territory disputes, and age-old disagreements.

            There's no question that there is a massive difference between the west
            side of the pond and the east side - and how we view 'ancient history'
            as we would call it, greatly affects (look, Oliver and Chris, used
            'affect' correctly this time, I think) how we deal with current events.
            Chris was pointing out (from something he read) that even current
            racial (and I'm using the historical connotation behind 'race,' not the
            modern one) reactions to present events follows the patterns of old
            racial and religious affiliations. I believe he was pointing out (or
            rather, Victor Davis Hanson was) that most of Europe is still governed
            by church affiliations.

            In short, the history in Europe still drives the current disagreements
            and wars. In America, this would not happen. If Americans held this
            kind of grudge, we would never have resumed diplomatic relations with
            England after the War of 1912. We would never be tourists in German,
            Japan, or China.

            Is the fact that our lives move faster and we're busier the reason for
            this? Or is it because we just aren't constantly surrounded by
            reminders of our history? Or is this a viewpoint handed down generation
            after generation and no one's kicked the habit yet?

            Susan

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
              Susan,

              Just how safe my boltholes are, I don't know, but I've got some now,
              and will fearlessly take my existlist survival in my hands. This is
              not intended as flaming.
              I find it laughable to suppose you Americans are not holding a
              historical grudge - it's simply gone to an unconscious level because
              Roosevelt took advantage of Churchill's trusting nature and other
              difficulties, in order to wrest the power of the British Empire into
              US hands. Just look at the history of American military
              interventions in recent decades, following the deliverance of
              supposedly liberated Poles and other Eastern Europeans into the
              hands of an infamous tyrant. Look at the double standards implicit
              in American foreign policy generally. I may see more clearly than I
              used to what drives those double standards, that even forms of love
              dwell within them, but this is not justice, and does not meet the
              exacting gaze of the purest religious vision. What are our sacred
              books for, if not to cry outrage or derision at the cold grip of
              unfeeling power?
              The American people often don't have intense feelings about
              territory disputes because American territory and its economic
              outposts provide a strangely selective atlas of the world, in
              the 'collective american psyche'.

              Louise

            • alcyon11
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                Susan,

                I think it's that most are poorly educated about their own history
                and don't really care about the past. Some of the ridiculous
                attitudes toward government and politics are rooted in this
                ignorance, especially when it comes to our Constitution and the
                founding principles of our nation.

                I might also point out that if one is American Indian, he has a rich
                history stretching back to approximately the same time as rise of
                what became known as England and France. I'm in the midst of watching
                Kevin Costner's "500 Nations". I recommend the 8 part series to
                anyone who is interested in a deeper historical perspective of "our"
                history.

                Mary Jo

              • Susan Schnelbach
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                  But if 'your own history' only goes back 200 - 400 years does it
                  generate the same level of biases as it does in other, older,
                  countries? (Louise - I was referred to individual attitudes, not
                  government practices. I know much more goes into most foreign policy
                  decisions than just localized biases. However, I'll be the first to
                  admit to not being very interested in our government. I can't change
                  the way it works until someone elects me dictator. ;) )

                  I disagree with the use of the term 'American Indian.' There were
                  hundreds of tribes each with their own customs, history, affiliations,
                  and language. To group them collectively is like grouping all of Africa
                  as one nationality. And, since most American's are not descended from
                  any AmerInd tribe they would not consider it part of their 'history.'

                  But, yes, I do agree that most Americans are poorly educated in
                  general, much less their knowledge of history - European, Classical, or
                  American. Our Nintendo generation is the worst of all - not enough of
                  an attention span to remember what happened last year much less 500
                  years ago.

                  Susan
                  "Ignorance of history causes us to malign our own time."
                  He who doesn't learn history is doomed to repeat it.
                  An archaeologist is one whose career lies in ruins. <old tagline that I
                  just couldn't resist adding>

                  Okay, going back to my genealogy research now...
                  Speaking of such, Mary Jo - what part of the country are you from?
                  Wasn't it the Midwest?

                  - - -

                • eduard at home
                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                    louise,

                    Yes, we are much closer to the Americans. If the distance between you and the Americans is 10 miles, chances are that we are at mile 7 on the American side. But then that all depends upon where Canadians happen to live. We have a 3000 mile or something border.

                    Anyway, right now I am more interested in the George thingy from a philosophical point of view.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                      eduard,

                      that's strange - i thought you weren't into these numerical
                      interpretations of the world...
                      sighs.
                      wonder what you'll make of my next post.
                      if you know where bill is, maybe he'd be willing to cross the ocean
                      and finish me off himself.

                      louise

                      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
                      > louise,
                      >
                      > Yes, we are much closer to the Americans. If the distance between
                      you and the Americans is 10 miles, chances are that we are at mile 7
                      on the American side. But then that all depends upon where
                      Canadians happen to live. We have a 3000 mile or something border.

                      > Anyway, right now I am more interested in the George thingy from a
                      philosophical point of view.

                      > eduard

                    • eduard at home
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                        Susan,

                        I was wondering the same thing. That is, to "mix it all up".

                        The article from Humanistic Psychology, went into the various types of meaning that we might apply to life. All the way from service to a god -- to no meaning and service to the self.

                        It got me thinking that the sort of meaning we might wish to apply, is largely a case of where we ourselves might wish to put our focus. George fears that he might not continue to stand when "worlds collide". Yet perhaps the fear is unfounded. We can become what we wish according to the circumstances. It is only a matter of manipulating our neurons. If we can laugh in one minute and cry in the next, then surely we could similarly adapt to any philosophy/religion as it suits us.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                          this might be so, but sounds like a counsel of despair...
                          louise

                          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
                          > Susan,
                          >
                          > I was wondering the same thing. That is, to "mix it all up".
                          >
                          > The article from Humanistic Psychology, went into the various
                          types of meaning that we might apply to life. All the way from
                          service to a god -- to no meaning and service to the self.

                          > It got me thinking that the sort of meaning we might wish to
                          apply, is largely a case of where we ourselves might wish to put our
                          focus. George fears that he might not continue to stand
                          when "worlds collide". Yet perhaps the fear is unfounded. We can
                          become what we wish according to the circumstances. It is only a
                          matter of manipulating our neurons. If we can laugh in one minute
                          and cry in the next, then surely we could similarly adapt to any
                          philosophy/religion as it suits us.

                          > eduard
                          George

                        • jerryjfortin@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                            In a message dated 29/02/2004 10:00:44 AM Mountain Standard Time,
                            yeoman@... writes:

                            > Seinfeld was the best TV series in history.

                            I liked MASH myself.

                            Jerry

                          • Mary Jo Malo
                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 29, 2004
                              Susan,

                              I consider my history to be that of all my multiple heritages, but not to exclude that of my American heritage. After all, this content was inhabited by indigenous peoples before everyone else came here. That history is continous from the Paleo period until the present. I could just as easily been born in any of the countries representing my heritage. I'm an American, but my history is of the world. I live in the Midwest.

                              Mary Jo

                            • Amanda Lemesonoka
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
                                Susan,

                                the difference may well be the historical heritage. i sometimes wonder, if people in my country aren't bringing too much of the past (and mostly past insults) with them. it is a matter of course that we know our history and are if not proud then cerain about it. but sometimes when present state or failures are being explained with the sorrowful history we've had makes me feel unhappy. people always tend to blame something for their own lack of doings... sorry that i went a bit off the topic, but the thing i wanted to say was that i also think we, europeans are very very largely influenced by our past and maybe sometimes too much.

                                Amanda

                                Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote: Louise -

                                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                Click Here

                              • Susan Schnelbach
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 1, 2004
                                  That's what I was wondering too.

                                  I used to work with a Dutchman. I made a crack one day about
                                  "Dutch/German same difference" and got a look of death. He told me,
                                  using a look that could kill, that HE WAS NOT GERMAN! He was raised, in
                                  Holland, to feel certain negative things about Germans even though he
                                  was my age and not involved in any of the recent world wars.

                                  The same thing came up from an older pair of Bavarians. They were quite
                                  clear that they were Bavarian, NOT GERMAN. I thought it was strange at
                                  the time until I realized that attitude seemed to be common with the
                                  Europeans I met around here.