Re: Ethics, Morality, and Meaning

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2004
      eduard,
      is george jj? what about tony? how about the extrapolated poet?
      is the day striped? and where did the hoops go in the twilight?
      the curtains open by themselves in the dream of the future i've not
      yet seen.
      the coffee is not bitter - the horse is not tired - the food is
      superlative, if you go to the right ground.
      can't we have an agreement also - i'll teach you about english life,
      especially football, if you teach me about neurons or anything you
      care to nominate.
      am listening again to radio commentary: bolton have pulled one
      back. good news, darling?
      louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > I guess the issue is not so much a matter of the terminology, but
      of the whether this is something that should do. Which tends into
      the old subject of "meaning".

      > I found a neat article on the internet from the Journal of
      Humanistic Psychology, "What Eminent People Have Said About the
      Meaning of Life" [I include below a bit related to this list].

      > --- Yalom (1980) distinguished between two types of meaning:
      cosmic and terrestrial. Cosmic meaning refers to meaning that
      transcends the individual. Cosmic meaning is usually viewed as
      divinely inspired. Terrestrial meaning refers to that which is
      deemed by any individual to be personally meaningful in his or her
      life. Among the best known positions on the meaning of life are the
      following:

      > --- Life has no cosmic meaning but humans can create their own
      meaning(s). Nietzsche (1957) was a pioneer of this perspective.
      Existentialist philosophers like Camus (1955), deBeauvoir (1948),
      and Sartre (1956) and the psychiatrist Erich Fromm (1947) followed
      his lead. They believed that humans must find the to face the
      meaningless abyss and take responsibility for creating meaning out
      of the chaos.

      > --- Life may have cosmic meaning. Through honest and intensive
      search humans can discover truths in life. This is the perspective
      advocated by Frankl (1992). He believed that it was part of human
      nature to search for the meaning of one's existence. In contrast to
      existentialists such as Camus and Sartre, Frankl believed that
      transcendent meaning is not something that can be arbitrarily
      created by a person. It can only be discovered.

      > From an Nooist point of view, I believe that you can have both and
      eat your cake too. To satisfy the rational mind, one can create a
      terrestrial meaning so as to avoid the abyss. But it is possible to
      also satisfy the irrational mind through adopting a cosmic meaning
      which is available through any of the various religions in the
      world.