Posts, language, grammar

  • C. S. Wyatt
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 27, 2004
      > CSW,
      > I don't care a bean about trivial matters like grammar and spelling
      > checks. I want to be able to take responsibility for my
      > understanding of existential philosophy. It is not only myself who
      > has thought that I've been told to shut up.
      > Not one of my arguments, concerning what it was or was not
      > legitimate to say, has been answered. Susan is clearly a busy
      > person, and hasn't time to read all the posts when the traffic is
      > high.

      I honestly have no idea what your concern is, or those of others. The
      basic rules for the Exist List are posted on both the Yahoo site and
      Existential Primer.

      As long as a post or thread relates to philosophy, it is acceptable.
      If the post explores how people make decisions, understand each other,
      determine morality/ethics, it relates to the basic issues of
      existentialism and most modern philosophy.

      To vote or not to vote, is a personal choice. How do we make that
      decision and why? Is there a philosophical process or something else?
      Is religion the result of society or is society the result of dominant
      religions? (Sort of chicken and egg, if you look at how religions start.)

      The individual's ability to remain individual while operating in
      society is the basic problem for "social existentialism" and the
      problem of the individual in the "universe" is the problem of all
      philosophy.

      As long as your posts relate to how people both coexist and remain
      individual, you are probably on the mark. If your posts are about what
      happens during a football game or nightly television show, then you're
      likely off-topic.

      > > Even the discussions of responsibility, ethics, government, and
      religions role in these matters ends up a discussion about language
      and meaning.

      Maybe I was being too subtle. The point was that grammar and meaning
      have been the most frequent causes of problems for the individual in
      society. When I post on ethics or social morality, the words I use or
      anyone else might use can be misconstrued. That's a problem not only
      of the Internet, but even for the printed word or artistic expression.

      Language is always important. Without communication, we are isolated,
      but language is never a complete connection. We never convey *exactly*
      what was meant, only a notion of our thoughts.

      Always remember that words mean things, but they can mean so many that
      agreement is difficult.

      - CSW