Re: Thoughts and Thinking

  • Yana Youhana
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 1999
      Hello Charles,

      >From: "Charles Vermont" <Funchoice@...>
      >To: "Existentialism List" <existlist@onelist.com>
      >Subject: [existlist] Thoughts and Thinking
      >Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 22:18:30 -0000

      >I do not understand what you are on about.

      What have i said that is so hard to understand?! good thing
      I use the most simple form of english possible :)

      >There have been many posts to this list which have made me choose to >pause
      >for thought.

      O.K. I chalange you to bring the most brilliant post that made
      you think and go waaaa,

      >At the same time, however, I do not remember any of your posts >setting me
      >thinking.�

      if it didn't why are you questioning me then?!!!!
      I do NOT brag about being 4.0 gpa and having read all
      the philosopher's and quoting my professors and other writers,
      at least i am genuine!
      I refuse to be filled with old quotes and empty frazes without
      the good used of them!

      >I have felt, however, the following emotions: compassion, >irritation,
      >annoyance, frustration, and disbelief.

      If you are on this list and "if" you consider yourself an
      existentialist, what do you think life is all about?
      emotions, compassion, irritation, annoyance, frustration, belife and
      disbelief, love and hate, joy and sorrow, just to name few that
      you mentioned i was!!! so who is more true to him/her self and
      means what he/she says?

      >Therefore I have a challenge. I want you
      I am the one who wants, NOT you my friend!

      >to take the most brilliant, most insightful, most profound thought >you
      >have ever had about existentialist philosophy and post it to >this list.

      if you will accept my "layman's" way of writting, I will do so,
      and they are NOT even "brilliant, most isightful, most proufound",
      BUT they are something!

      >By doing this we will all have the chance to see what you mean by
      > >'thinking',

      By now trust me, you already know except that the hit was
      so hard that every1 is still in the shock of the idea of
      how dare some1 could just tell us what we realy are, we thought
      we can play the blind fold game and run in the dark one after another,
      why has she intrupted us, why doesn't she let us be alone the way
      we were, we were happy, send couple of lines about who wrote what,
      and it was very good and etc.... now she has come and is telling us
      listen, you are all so smart why don't you revolutianize this whole
      thing and since you have a very strong writing skills (which sometimes
      you are not putting it in a good use, it causes all of you to confuse
      eachother, so is not good all the times) come-up with ideas, chalange your
      minds. why when some1 says
      yana you have to practice your spelling, I laugh and say you know
      i've tried all sorts of way and this is the best it is, I don't
      become upset. So far what ever I have written has been in a way
      a compliment, you have "chosen" to take it in a wrong way, that IS
      your progetive! I take all sorts of critisizem as a compliment,
      you should to.

      >and also have the choice as to whether we rate you highly enough to >read
      >your subsequent posts.
      That is not why I am here. I do NOT care for rating, I care to make
      change! If you do not read my post, if it was
      worth reading and you chose not to read it then it would be your loss,
      if it was not worth reading and you read it, then you have wasted your time,
      and I would excpet you to correct me.

      >Musing about this email, I have been trying to remember whether I >have
      >ever come across anyone else who has made it his/her mission in >life to
      >make people think.

      If I was just like "him/her", there would NOT be a need
      for one of us to be "here", don't you agree!

      >The only one I can recall was a woman I worked with at a firm of
      > >reinsurance brokers. The name she called herself, and I kid you not, >was
      >Polly Parrot. She worked for around 15 years in the accounts >department,
      >making sure none of us fiddled our expenses. In the end >she was sacked for
      >inefficiency - it took an age before she would >issue a cheque. What I
      >wonder today is why she didn't take a more >active role in helping to shape
      >the direction of the company - if >she had then she would have had plenty
      >of opportunity to make us all >think very hard.

      Let me see what you are trying to say in your above paragraph;
      jump in anytime you want;
      1) she called herself Polly Parrot, which is funny

      2) she woked for 15 years in the same position and that shows
      she had no ambitions.

      3)Her job was unchallenging because the most important thing
      she had to do was to whatch none of you would steal from the company
      (was she related to the owners by any chance?)

      4) she was very inadequite in performing her job,
      (if I was her boss, she would have been gone the first day)

      5) She did not take an active role to shape the direction of
      the company!
      What was your role in that company, if I may ask, what I am trying
      to ask, is why did you NOT try to take an active role in shaping
      the direction of the company?!

      6) you missed one thing, and that is what made an accountant
      to come-out and tell you guys to think?, what did you guys do
      to make her say that?!!!!!

      Have a great day :)
      ~yana

      P.S. I have a little story for you, which I will post later.
      so leave your attacks for then, because you will need it :)

      P.S. 2, with all due respect, i will ask you this, why
      do you have "London,England,UK" under your signature, is there
      any other London on this earth, without the England AND UK I think it would
      still be recognized as the same London in England which is also
      called United Kingdom (which is in trouble these days!)
    • TiffaniTN@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 1999
        LOL.... Okay... ENOUGH ... all of us.

        Let's put this list back on the track it belongs on. Yana is correct, in a
        sense. If we really don't want to hear what she has to offer, which seems to
        be nothing more than groundless attacks on everything under the sun, then
        let's boycott her messages. Until she gives us something to REALLY think
        about, don't respond to an e-mail full of holier than thou CRAP. When you
        respond to her vacuous e-mails you are validating her and encouraging her to
        continue on. This is easily remedied.

        I would like to know what this group thinks of Sartre's play "The Respectful
        Prostitute." I am most interested in Sartre's use of very Freudian subject
        matter. In Sartre's The Transcendence of the Ego it is clear to the reader
        that Sartre's is very anti-Freud ... the concept of the unconscious. So why
        did he write about a man who pretends to be a baby in a crib with this
        prostitute? I am a Psychology/Philosophy double major, and this piece
        screamed Freud. Any thoughts as to why he would do this?

        Thank you.... Have a fantastic day my fellow Existentialists.
        Tiffani
      • Yana Youhana
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 1999
          >From: TiffaniTN@...

          >I would like to know what this group thinks of Sartre's play "The
          >Respectful
          >Prostitute." I am most interested in Sartre's use of very Freudian subject
          >matter. In Sartre's The Transcendence of the Ego it is clear to the reader
          >that Sartre's is very anti-Freud ... the concept of the unconscious. So
          >why
          >did he write about a man who pretends to be a baby in a crib with this
          >prostitute?

          TIFFANY, ALL MEN FEEL LIKE A BABY WHEN THEY ARE WITH A
          WOMEN (PROSTITUTE OR NOT), WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHAT Did
          SARTRE MEAN?!!!!! WHAT KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT,
          WHAT DO YOU THINK SUCKING THE NIPLE (SP?) RESEMBLES?!,
          IT RESEMBLES A BABY THAT IS BEING BREST-FED AND THE FITAS
          THAT SUCKED ON THE TUMB WHEN IN HIS/HER MOTHER WOMB. IT IS
          AN ACT OUT OF INSTINCT. SARTE DID NOT NEED TO BE ANTI-FREUD
          TO WRITE THAT, HE WAS A MAN WITH MASULAN ISTINCT!

          I am a Psychology/Philosophy double major, and this piece
          >screamed Freud. Any thoughts as to why he would do this?

          Maybe he felt like a baby when he was with a prostitude,
          since at the time of his life french thought sleeping around
          was very "shick" thing to do and represnted liberisem. I don't
          think you need to be a Psychology/Philosophy triple major
          to realize that!

          have a great day!
          ~yana