Compatibilism

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2004
      Has anyone taken time to read about this philosophy that Biggie says
      is his approach? It's pretty sensible. I figure if someone of his
      intellect mentions it, it must be worth looking into. However,
      his "love" for me will have to remain unrequited. He also says
      he "loves" eduard. Maybe Biggie's kinky?!? Perhaps he's just a
      miserable sonofabitch. Jo
    • George Walton

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
          No. Actually, I was just trying to get your attention. I'm childish
          that way. It made Georgie Porgie come out to play. I just like to mix
          it up, but perhaps you don't play well with others. In any regard,
          there's been a much talk about moral responsibility and bad faith
          here lately. I'm sure it's a rehashing of an old argument, but maybe
          it's time to revive it again.

          I actually find Compatibilism interesting, especially raising the
          point of causa sui . . . "First, is it really true that one needs to
          be self-creating or causa sui in some way, in order to be truly or
          ultimately responsible for what one does . . . Suppose one accepts
          that no one can be in any way causa sui, and yet that one would have
          to be causa sui (in certain crucial mental respects) in order to be
          ultimately responsible for one's actions. This does not seem to have
          any impact on one's sense of one's radical freedom and
          responsibility, as one stands there, wondering what to do. One's
          radical responsibility seems to stem simply from the fact that one is
          fully conscious of one's situation, and knows that one can choose,
          and believes that one action is morally better than the other. This
          seems to be immediately enough to confer full and ultimate
          responsibility. And yet it cannot really do so, according to the
          pessimists. For whatever one actually does, one will do what one does
          because of the way one is, and the way one is is something for which
          one neither is nor can be responsible, however self-consciously aware
          of one's situation one is."

          I don't even know where to begin with this statement. It just kind of
          rings true for me that one can't be truly responsible without free
          will. According to my personal philosophy, which is evolving daily,
          one actually IS causa sui. I'm sorry. There's a still a wee little
          part of me that embraces solipsism. Nobody's perfect.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

          Mary Jo

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, George Walton <iambiguously@y...>
          wrote:
          > Why oh why do you always have to make the spinning so easy?! I have
          practically given you the script but you still insist on using
          Eduard's "existential" cue cards. And I can just imagine who is
          holding them up for you: Louise?

          > First, is it really true that one needs to be self-creating or
          causa sui in some way, in order to be truly or ultimately responsible
          for what one does . . . Suppose one accepts that no one can be in any
          way causa sui, and yet that one would have to be causa sui (in
          certain crucial mental respects) in order to be ultimately
          responsible for one's actions. This does not seem to have any impact
          on one's sense of one's radical freedom and responsibility, as one
          stands there, wondering what to do. One's radical responsibility
          seems to stem simply from the fact that one is fully conscious of
          one's situation, and knows that one can choose, and believes that one
          action is morally better than the other. This seems to be immediately
          enough to confer full and ultimate responsibility. And yet it cannot
          really do so, according to the pessimists. For whatever one actually
          does, one will do what one does because of the way one is, and the
          way one is is something for which one neither is nor can be
          responsible, however self-consciously aware of one's situation one is.

          > B.
          >

          > Mary Jo Malo <alcyon11@y...> wrote:
          > Has anyone taken time to read about this philosophy that Biggie
          says
          > is his approach? It's pretty sensible. I figure if someone of his
          > intellect mentions it, it must be worth looking into. However,
          > his "love" for me will have to remain unrequited. He also says
          > he "loves" eduard. Maybe Biggie's kinky?!? Perhaps he's just a
          > miserable sonofabitch. Jo

          Service.