Re: Bullshit

  • Meghan
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 1999
      Brandon wrote:

      <<Ethics and morality still revolve around the great philosophers.>>

      It would certainly be a challenge to create an entirely new system of
      ethics without using any component already present in a moral system. A
      good deal of them are either refuting or expanding on pre-existing moral
      theories.

      Besides, as we all well know, citing a reliable authority which supports
      your stance gives your position more validity.

      <<Most people know the general themes in these subjects. However, they do
      not seem to live by these central all of the time. This is common sense.>>

      This is an excellent point. I'm well aware of the categorical imperative,
      but I'd find myself paralyzed if I attempted to live by it. :-)

      <<YANA SAYS: "Plato lived in a world that was different. The answers that
      have been written do not change the human condition in our times" Am I the
      only one that disagrees? Let me know.>>

      I disagree; the answers that have been written *did* change the human
      condition, from their inception to the present day. And as people find new
      ways to intrepret and apply them, they will continue to shape our world.

      -Meghan

      http://nettrash.com/users/meghan/enter.html

      "Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself."

      -- Rita Mae Brown