don't worry... be happy

  • Amanda Lemesonoka
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
      some time ago i read an article written by Sartre (if i'm not mistaking it was called Existialism is Humanism) where he defended ideas of existentialism in response to critics. i remember that he said - people who say that existentialism is depressing are themselves very weak...
      because (and now i go on interpreting) - to think like an existentialist you have to be a strong person. it is not easy to be responsible for everything that a person does or has. but it is so easy to say that others are guilty of my miseries. and i have to be ready that i will have to defend myself.
      now Louise maybe i don't understand what you're experiencing. but surely you can't have expected that everyone will like you here. i am not american so some things that are discussed here about US don't bother me at all... so what? i just ignore them. if this list was basicly non-american then probably moderator wouldn't tolerate some of those posts neither. but as it happens to be - sometimes you have to accept...
      basicly what i want to say - we all are here because of philosphy not politics, ethnics or whatever other reason... there are differences between people of different nationalities, beliefs etc. but i don't think that it should affect this list here... it is a philosophically-based list after all...:-)
      there will always be people who don't like you and you'll have to accept that. you don't have to feel sorry for people not liking your posts. because if there is at least one person who likes you - that's a lot...
      someone called me here previously a "jaded person" and some other descriptions i got. and? i really didn't care about it.
      Amanda

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
        Amanda,
        Maybe the good thing is to have the conversation. I've had to live
        with huge stretches of solitude, really, and I'm out of practice, at
        communicating. You're right, that we can disagree, and so on. But
        nevertheless there is love, and as an existentialist who hates
        injustice and hypocrisy, I am willing for the journey to be a little
        rough, because I love life above all, more even than pleasure. To
        love life is maybe even to prolong it, and maybe I'm cunning without
        knowing it, and receive huge quantities of pleasure in life because
        life goes on so slowly and intensely with me.
        I think I'm happier than I know.
        Louise.

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Lemesonoka <kamy_ams@y...>