the peaceful soldier

    Message 1 of 62 , Feb 2, 2004
      Hello Eduard.
      I feel as if I'm talking to everyone who has posted recently, as
      well as benignly overheard by unknown others, but it's easier to get
      through to my thoughts if we're, mentally, alone together. And
      that's because the most important things, in my experience, are
      often quite hard to get through to and communicate.
      Am feeling actually pretty militant this morning; how can I begin to
      explain this? Risky, like most of what's been happening in these
      twenty-five days since I first posted a message on the internet.
      I think true religion has an irresistible passion to it, and that
      you exemplify that in the realm of love, and I myself in the realm
      of faith; hope, distinct, may come: I'm neither with it nor without
      it; I've got work to do, and I'm going to try to meet a horse today,
      to find out what's really going on - that combination of power and
      honesty isn't exactly out there in abundance. From the realm of the
      normal man, I'm well aware I'm talking drivel; that's probably why I
      feel so militant, a kind of warm, productive anger just beneath the
      surface, to ensure I am not swayed by any of the passions that do
      not fully persuade my being. Yes, I am a dogmatist, and unashamed,
      because I know as surely as I know anything that the hard edge of
      understanding must be attended to - because it carries an illusion.
      The hardness is of the heart, and once that is softened, clarity,
      which alone can undermine violence, then embodies itself in
      feelings, desires, and acts, simply because we are human. No
      effort.
      I don't actually enjoy this feeling of militancy - it's a duty I
      trust, partly because I know the alternative so well. There is
      something utterly sick, I believe, about the nonchalance with which
      we hear about so much death and disaster. It may not actually be
      the most important question, but I think it may be the most
      foundational at present, that ancient question:
      Am I my brother's keeper?
      Louise.
      Message 62 of 62 , Feb 4, 2005