Re: sleepwalking & schizophrenia discussion groups

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
      Mary,
      I don't want to blitz you, or anyone else, with messages, and this
      will be my last for the present, perhaps for the day, if no-one I
      know reasonably well from existlist feels able to respond, and talk
      with me. Again, there's always that nagging fear that mutual fear
      (sorry for the repetition) will somehow spoil things; but right now,
      Eduard seems to me to have more faith than anyone else I've ever met.
      There's a lot to work out, existentially, well actually I meant
      intellectually, but I feel the same thing applies as in 1999. If
      only they don't put me away, I'll be fine.
      Louise.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <alcyon11@y...>
      wrote:
      > Louise,
      >
      > My mother would always relapse, because she wouldn't take her
      meds.
      > Her relatives never knew what to do with her and often discovered
      her
      > relapsed state quite a while after the fact. Then, she would be
      > institutionalized for a spell, then released. This was her cycle
      for
      > over 30 years. The meds kept getting stronger and the visits to
      the
      > asylum were longer over time. She had very severe symptoms
      however,
      > but she could always tell us quite "lucidly" what she was seeing
      and
      > hearing. It seemed a cry for help. As a consequence of her
      illness,
      > she wasn't a fit mother and rarely cared for her 6 children.
      >
      > Sometimes, after listening to some of us exchange ideas here in
      this
      > group, I can't help but feel that the ambibuities we think and
      feel
      > are just a milder form of schizophrenia. You know what I mean?
      This
> [...]
      > He
      > > seemed interested - though sceptical - about the 3D glasses
      idea.
      > > As for me, I think I'll be pretty much back to normal within a
      day
      > > or two. The oddest things happen to me - when I was up in the
      wee,
      > > and advancing, small hours, I visited my 'schizophrenia is not
      > > disease' group (without which I'ld never have made it as far as
      > > existlist), to find that, before my eyes, a new member ( male
      > > psychiatric nurse) was posting his first message. I posted back
      > > briefly, to say hello, only to find another new member posting
      for
      > > the first time - a female psychiatrist. This was handy, as I
      could
      > > just say hello to her too, and leave them to it. The context
      for
      > > this seeming odd is that this increases the number of posting
      > > contributors by fifty per cent. Big group, small group, lurking
      is
      > > ever popular.
      > > The only group I lurk on is the 'schizophrenia-is-a-disease-we-
      are-
      > > very-kind-but-be-sure-to-take-your-meds' group, where I learnt,
      for
      > > instance, the useful insight, that, in a crisis, it may be
      better
      > > turn to a CN (chronically normal), wherever one may turn up.
      > > I'm sure our house needs cleaning, as well, but I really must
      give
      > > priority to the hamster cages. Actually, this work may re-
      activate
      > > my physical energies, for all I know. The weather's mild and
      dry
      > > enough today to make feasible use of the mangle in the yard (the
      > > spin belt on our gorgeous 1960s twin tub has snapped, and
      appears
      > > be obsolete, though only last year a similar problem proved
      > > soluble. Sceptic's joined a virtual twin-tub-loving emporium
      in
      > > hopes of making progress: lots of pictures of gleaming machines
      > (oh,
      > > those green ones...)overflowing with hot suds.
      > > Well, that's enough for now.
      > > Don't tire yourself out.
      > > Louise.
      > >

      > > In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > > > I am going to try the Roi du Dollar shop at the Gallery
      d'Aylmer
      > > tomorrow, to see if they have any of these glasses. Other than
      > > that, I suppose I shall have to make some out of green/red
      plastic
      > > sheeting.
      > > >
      > > > I have not seen the news release regarding the finding of
      water.
      > > So far it has only been guesses. What is interesting is that
      the
      > > tracks left by the rover are like what you expect on wet soil.

      Canon
      > or
      > > Lexmark
      > > US &

      > > > (Includes community book list, chat, and more.)
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mary Jo Malo
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
        Louise,

        I don't think you're mad. Risk can be the boundry where we learn
        things, isn't that what you said? I haven't really tried to do
        anything for you except talk with you about me mum and such. You're a
        dear.

        Mary Jo

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
          Oh, I see.
          I'ld been thinking of Glastonbury.
          Louise.
          Hope the posts coming through aren't going to worry you any. Hell,
          I'm convinced I'm not paranoid, and you seem generally to have
          agreed.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
            Thank you, Mary.
            I still feel a bit worried, though. It's the virtual thing - if you
            can't just look across a room at anyone you're hoping to speak to,
            and see they're all right. Although I think, even know, if I'm to
            be bold, that there's nothing to worry about, it's difficult to feel
            it. Penalty of being human.

            wrote:
> [...]
            seems
            > > > distinctly underwhelmed by it all, and kept laughing at my
            > > > enthusiam, saying it looked like Chesil beach. When I asked
            him
            > > > where this was, he said (John Cowper)Powys country, near
            > > Weymouth.
            > > > It's years since I read those novels. Anyway, once he'd
            backed
            > > off
            > > > from the screen a little, he said it looked better.
            > > > I've done little today, and certainly no housework - am just
            too
            > > > tired. Whether the hamsters are going to get clean cages
            today,
            > > > don't know. Ah well, such are the minutiae of practical life,
            > but
            > > > it seems the best thing to concentrate on.
            > > > I keep wondering how Eduard is, if that isn't an odd thing to

          • eduard at home
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
              Louise,

              eduard is doing well. The temperature has gone up to -5c and I really should go for a walk to the river and take some pictures.

              I had a nap with the pussy cat today. Sunday is always a good day for napping. Of course, so is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday --- you get the idea.

              I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah. Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

              eduard
              ... still keeping his neurons happy ...
[...]
              tired. Whether the hamsters are going to get clean cages today, I

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                Louise,

                You are probably sleeping now. Its almost 400pm here now.

                You need to get into Nooism. Just keep your neurons happy ... :-)

                Anyway, I will finish these emails and then head for the river and take some pictures.

              • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                  In a message dated 2/1/2004 2:49:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                  yeoman@... writes:

                  I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression
                  which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some
                  people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when
                  trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I
                  seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah.
                  Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

                  eduard
                  Jeez. I had a manic depressive wife once. Didn't know whether she'd meet
                  me at the door with a bottle of champagne or a shotgun.
                  Lots of cultures regard the insane as holy. Time was, being the village
                  idiot was a pretty good job. Sure beat harvesting turnips with a short hoe, I
                  guess.
                  Ed Tyler