Re: sleepwalking & schizophrenia discussion groups

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
      Mary,
      I don't want to blitz you, or anyone else, with messages, and this
      will be my last for the present, perhaps for the day, if no-one I
      know reasonably well from existlist feels able to respond, and talk
      with me. Again, there's always that nagging fear that mutual fear
      (sorry for the repetition) will somehow spoil things; but right now,
      Eduard seems to me to have more faith than anyone else I've ever met.
      There's a lot to work out, existentially, well actually I meant
      intellectually, but I feel the same thing applies as in 1999. If
      only they don't put me away, I'll be fine.
      Louise.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <alcyon11@y...>
      wrote:
      > Louise,
      >
      > My mother would always relapse, because she wouldn't take her
      meds.
      > Her relatives never knew what to do with her and often discovered
      her
      > relapsed state quite a while after the fact. Then, she would be
      > institutionalized for a spell, then released. This was her cycle
      for
      > over 30 years. The meds kept getting stronger and the visits to
      the
      > asylum were longer over time. She had very severe symptoms
      however,
      > but she could always tell us quite "lucidly" what she was seeing
      and
      > hearing. It seemed a cry for help. As a consequence of her
      illness,
      > she wasn't a fit mother and rarely cared for her 6 children.
      >
      > Sometimes, after listening to some of us exchange ideas here in
      this
      > group, I can't help but feel that the ambibuities we think and
      feel
      > are just a milder form of schizophrenia. You know what I mean?
      This
> [...]
      > He
      > > seemed interested - though sceptical - about the 3D glasses
      idea.
      > > As for me, I think I'll be pretty much back to normal within a
      day
      > > or two. The oddest things happen to me - when I was up in the
      wee,
      > > and advancing, small hours, I visited my 'schizophrenia is not
      > > disease' group (without which I'ld never have made it as far as
      > > existlist), to find that, before my eyes, a new member ( male
      > > psychiatric nurse) was posting his first message. I posted back
      > > briefly, to say hello, only to find another new member posting
      for
      > > the first time - a female psychiatrist. This was handy, as I
      could
      > > just say hello to her too, and leave them to it. The context
      for
      > > this seeming odd is that this increases the number of posting
      > > contributors by fifty per cent. Big group, small group, lurking
      is
      > > ever popular.
      > > The only group I lurk on is the 'schizophrenia-is-a-disease-we-
      are-
      > > very-kind-but-be-sure-to-take-your-meds' group, where I learnt,
      for
      > > instance, the useful insight, that, in a crisis, it may be
      better
      > > turn to a CN (chronically normal), wherever one may turn up.
      > > I'm sure our house needs cleaning, as well, but I really must
      give
      > > priority to the hamster cages. Actually, this work may re-
      activate
      > > my physical energies, for all I know. The weather's mild and
      dry
      > > enough today to make feasible use of the mangle in the yard (the
      > > spin belt on our gorgeous 1960s twin tub has snapped, and
      appears
      > > be obsolete, though only last year a similar problem proved
      > > soluble. Sceptic's joined a virtual twin-tub-loving emporium
      in
      > > hopes of making progress: lots of pictures of gleaming machines
      > (oh,
      > > those green ones...)overflowing with hot suds.
      > > Well, that's enough for now.
      > > Don't tire yourself out.
      > > Louise.
      > >

      > > In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > > > I am going to try the Roi du Dollar shop at the Gallery
      d'Aylmer
      > > tomorrow, to see if they have any of these glasses. Other than
      > > that, I suppose I shall have to make some out of green/red
      plastic
      > > sheeting.
      > > >
      > > > I have not seen the news release regarding the finding of
      water.
      > > So far it has only been guesses. What is interesting is that
      the
      > > tracks left by the rover are like what you expect on wet soil.

      Canon
      > or
      > > Lexmark
      > > US &

      > > > (Includes community book list, chat, and more.)
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mary Jo Malo
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
        Louise,

        Powys country. Isn't that Wales?

        Mary Jo

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
          Louise,

          I don't think you're mad. Risk can be the boundry where we learn
          things, isn't that what you said? I haven't really tried to do
          anything for you except talk with you about me mum and such. You're a
          dear.

          Mary Jo

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
            Oh, I see.
            I'ld been thinking of Glastonbury.
            Louise.
            Hope the posts coming through aren't going to worry you any. Hell,
            I'm convinced I'm not paranoid, and you seem generally to have
            agreed.

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
              Thank you, Mary.
              I still feel a bit worried, though. It's the virtual thing - if you
              can't just look across a room at anyone you're hoping to speak to,
              and see they're all right. Although I think, even know, if I'm to
              be bold, that there's nothing to worry about, it's difficult to feel
              it. Penalty of being human.

              wrote:
> [...]
              seems
              > > > distinctly underwhelmed by it all, and kept laughing at my
              > > > enthusiam, saying it looked like Chesil beach. When I asked
              him
              > > > where this was, he said (John Cowper)Powys country, near
              > > Weymouth.
              > > > It's years since I read those novels. Anyway, once he'd
              backed
              > > off
              > > > from the screen a little, he said it looked better.
              > > > I've done little today, and certainly no housework - am just
              too
              > > > tired. Whether the hamsters are going to get clean cages
              today,
              > > > don't know. Ah well, such are the minutiae of practical life,
              > but
              > > > it seems the best thing to concentrate on.
              > > > I keep wondering how Eduard is, if that isn't an odd thing to

            • eduard at home
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                Louise,

                eduard is doing well. The temperature has gone up to -5c and I really should go for a walk to the river and take some pictures.

                I had a nap with the pussy cat today. Sunday is always a good day for napping. Of course, so is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday --- you get the idea.

                I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah. Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

                eduard
                ... still keeping his neurons happy ...

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Louise,

                  You are probably sleeping now. Its almost 400pm here now.

                  You need to get into Nooism. Just keep your neurons happy ... :-)

                  Anyway, I will finish these emails and then head for the river and take some pictures.

                • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                    In a message dated 2/1/2004 2:49:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                    yeoman@... writes:

                    I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression
                    which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some
                    people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when
                    trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I
                    seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah.
                    Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

                    eduard
                    Jeez. I had a manic depressive wife once. Didn't know whether she'd meet
                    me at the door with a bottle of champagne or a shotgun.
                    Lots of cultures regard the insane as holy. Time was, being the village
                    idiot was a pretty good job. Sure beat harvesting turnips with a short hoe, I
                    guess.
                    Ed Tyler