Re: sleepwalking

    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
      Eduard,
      Wow! Those Mars pictures are something else, even though at present
      I've only really taken a cursory look. I know it sounds silly, but
      that surface looks unearthly.
      Sceptic (I've decided to demote him) has described to me how I can
      save the pictures on the computer, not something I've tried yet. He
      seemed interested - though sceptical - about the 3D glasses idea.
      As for me, I think I'll be pretty much back to normal within a day
      or two. The oddest things happen to me - when I was up in the wee,
      and advancing, small hours, I visited my 'schizophrenia is not a
      disease' group (without which I'ld never have made it as far as
      existlist), to find that, before my eyes, a new member ( male
      psychiatric nurse) was posting his first message. I posted back
      briefly, to say hello, only to find another new member posting for
      the first time - a female psychiatrist. This was handy, as I could
      just say hello to her too, and leave them to it. The context for
      this seeming odd is that this increases the number of posting
      contributors by fifty per cent. Big group, small group, lurking is
      ever popular.
      The only group I lurk on is the 'schizophrenia-is-a-disease-we-are-
      very-kind-but-be-sure-to-take-your-meds' group, where I learnt, for
      instance, the useful insight, that, in a crisis, it may be better to
      turn to a CN (chronically normal), wherever one may turn up.
      I'm sure our house needs cleaning, as well, but I really must give
      priority to the hamster cages. Actually, this work may re-activate
      my physical energies, for all I know. The weather's mild and dry
      enough today to make feasible use of the mangle in the yard (the
      spin belt on our gorgeous 1960s twin tub has snapped, and appears to
      be obsolete, though only last year a similar problem proved
      soluble. Sceptic's joined a virtual twin-tub-loving emporium in
      hopes of making progress: lots of pictures of gleaming machines (oh,
      those green ones...)overflowing with hot suds.
      Well, that's enough for now.
      Don't tire yourself out.
      Louise.

      In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eduard at home <yeoman@v...> wrote:
      > I am going to try the Roi du Dollar shop at the Gallery d'Aylmer
      tomorrow, to see if they have any of these glasses. Other than
      that, I suppose I shall have to make some out of green/red plastic
      sheeting.

      > I have not seen the news release regarding the finding of water.
      So far it has only been guesses. What is interesting is that the
      tracks left by the rover are like what you expect on wet soil.

      > eduard

      Mary Jo
      > > has driven me to drink ... :-)
      > >
      > > I am surprised that only you have replied on the Mars pictures
      stuff.
      > > This is a fantastic episode in our lives. Much better than
      anything
      > > we had from the Apollo moon landings.
      > >
      > > Day-to-day chronicles are just fine. I think I will go out
      tomorrow
      > > and take some pictures. The temperatures are moderating.
      > >
      > > Lots to do tomorrow. I haven't done any house cleaning in a
      while. I
      > > should also get out there and clear the snow that has piled up
      on the
      > > windows.
      > >
      > > eduard

      Lexmark
      > > Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the
      US &
      > > Canada.
      > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/ACsqlB/TM

      > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Mary Jo Malo
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
        Louise,

        My mother would always relapse, because she wouldn't take her meds.
        Her relatives never knew what to do with her and often discovered her
        relapsed state quite a while after the fact. Then, she would be
        institutionalized for a spell, then released. This was her cycle for
        over 30 years. The meds kept getting stronger and the visits to the
        asylum were longer over time. She had very severe symptoms however,
        but she could always tell us quite "lucidly" what she was seeing and
        hearing. It seemed a cry for help. As a consequence of her illness,
        she wasn't a fit mother and rarely cared for her 6 children.

        Sometimes, after listening to some of us exchange ideas here in this
        group, I can't help but feel that the ambibuities we think and feel
        are just a milder form of schizophrenia. You know what I mean? This
        isn't to downplay the seriousness of the condition, but to
        demonstrate that our ever changing moods and ideas seem to create an
        almost delusional reality from which we struggle daily to make some
        sense.

        Mary Jo

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
          I think I do know what you mean, Mary.
          Thanks so much for posting - although I feel rather fragile at the
          moment, and, I'ld say, rationally on the paranoid side, :¬), about
          what to say right now, things are gradually getting better.
          In fact, Sceptic (if you don't mind the dramatic-pseudonymous word-
          play) has just left the room after downloading, and creating a
          folder for, a couple of the images taken by mars rover, and has even
          replaced my former Stonehenge picture desktop with a picture of the
          rocky surface of the planet, filling the whole screen. He seems
          distinctly underwhelmed by it all, and kept laughing at my
          enthusiam, saying it looked like Chesil beach. When I asked him
          where this was, he said (John Cowper)Powys country, near Weymouth.
          It's years since I read those novels. Anyway, once he'd backed off
          from the screen a little, he said it looked better.
          I've done little today, and certainly no housework - am just too
          tired. Whether the hamsters are going to get clean cages today, I
          don't know. Ah well, such are the minutiae of practical life, but
          it seems the best thing to concentrate on.
          I keep wondering how Eduard is, if that isn't an odd thing to wonder.
          Will sign off for now.
          Louise.

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Jo Malo" <alcyon11@y...>

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
            Mary,
            Please don't think me really really mad - I'm accustomed to taking
            risks, and finding that, sooner or later, things work out. I feel
            as if I'm in hell, and it's ok here.
            I do appreciate all you've tried to do for me. I will get through
            this.
            Louise.

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
              Mary,
              I don't want to blitz you, or anyone else, with messages, and this
              will be my last for the present, perhaps for the day, if no-one I
              know reasonably well from existlist feels able to respond, and talk
              with me. Again, there's always that nagging fear that mutual fear
              (sorry for the repetition) will somehow spoil things; but right now,
              Eduard seems to me to have more faith than anyone else I've ever met.
              There's a lot to work out, existentially, well actually I meant
              intellectually, but I feel the same thing applies as in 1999. If
              only they don't put me away, I'll be fine.

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                Louise,

                Powys country. Isn't that Wales?

                Mary Jo

                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Louise,

                  I don't think you're mad. Risk can be the boundry where we learn
                  things, isn't that what you said? I haven't really tried to do
                  anything for you except talk with you about me mum and such. You're a
                  dear.

                  Mary Jo

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                    Oh, I see.
                    I'ld been thinking of Glastonbury.
                    Louise.
                    Hope the posts coming through aren't going to worry you any. Hell,
                    I'm convinced I'm not paranoid, and you seem generally to have
                    agreed.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                      Thank you, Mary.
                      I still feel a bit worried, though. It's the virtual thing - if you
                      can't just look across a room at anyone you're hoping to speak to,
                      and see they're all right. Although I think, even know, if I'm to
                      be bold, that there's nothing to worry about, it's difficult to feel
                      it. Penalty of being human.

                      wrote:
> [...]
                      seems
                      > > > distinctly underwhelmed by it all, and kept laughing at my
                      > > > enthusiam, saying it looked like Chesil beach. When I asked
                      him
                      > > > where this was, he said (John Cowper)Powys country, near
                      > > Weymouth.
                      > > > It's years since I read those novels. Anyway, once he'd
                      backed
                      > > off
                      > > > from the screen a little, he said it looked better.
                      > > > I've done little today, and certainly no housework - am just
                      too
                      > > > tired. Whether the hamsters are going to get clean cages
                      today,
                      > > > don't know. Ah well, such are the minutiae of practical life,
                      > but
                      > > > it seems the best thing to concentrate on.
                      > > > I keep wondering how Eduard is, if that isn't an odd thing to

                    • eduard at home
                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                        Louise,

                        eduard is doing well. The temperature has gone up to -5c and I really should go for a walk to the river and take some pictures.

                        I had a nap with the pussy cat today. Sunday is always a good day for napping. Of course, so is Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday --- you get the idea.

                        I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah. Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

                        eduard
                        ... still keeping his neurons happy ...

                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                          Louise,

                          You are probably sleeping now. Its almost 400pm here now.

                          You need to get into Nooism. Just keep your neurons happy ... :-)

                          Anyway, I will finish these emails and then head for the river and take some pictures.

                        • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 1, 2004
                            In a message dated 2/1/2004 2:49:01 PM Central Standard Time,
                            yeoman@... writes:

                            I know what Mary Jo means by schizophrenia ... or at least Manic-Depression
                            which my ex-wife had. I have always been fascinated by the way in which some
                            people can hallucinate. It's something that I could never do ... even when
                            trying hard. In a way, it's sometimes looked upon as a special gift. I
                            seem to recall that the Arab culture looked upon crazy people as close to Allah.
                            Perhaps drQ has some info on that.

                            eduard
                            Jeez. I had a manic depressive wife once. Didn't know whether she'd meet
                            me at the door with a bottle of champagne or a shotgun.
                            Lots of cultures regard the insane as holy. Time was, being the village
                            idiot was a pretty good job. Sure beat harvesting turnips with a short hoe, I
                            guess.
                            Ed Tyler