Re: Cannibalism

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2004
      Warren,
      I understand the oppression of "the sermon", religious or secular,
      even when one is not also facing the darkness of death. The
      trouble, maybe, lies in the human capacity to confuse our
      perceptions of the other person with their rather more mysterious
      utter separateness from ourselves. I think love is rooted in a
      distinct kind of exclusiveness, which precisely brings us back to
      what we have in common, especially our mortality. But this is an
      area in which I seem constantly to be failing; this doesn't dismay
      me, as such, because I remember again, just what is possible; and, I
      hope, slowly, to find ways not to fall into sermon-giving of my own.
      Louise.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Warren Thompson <wot53_2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > Bill, I know that free thinking people would not appreciate "the
      sermon" but maybe we can share our openness to diversity by simply
      listening. Many people are scared to talk with the dying & this is
      when they may need us the most.

      > Warren Thompson

      > Unitarian Universalist minister Robert Tucker wrote this poem for
      folks to think about ahead of time when confronted with the imminent
      death of a loved one. It was printed in the Lakeland paper along
      with Tucker's explanation. He had witnessed too many incidents where
      the terminally ill person was pestered, literally unmercifully, by
      friends or relatives concerned that the dying person was
      not "saved."