Re: Church a go go

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2004
      Ed,

      I had forgotten the more recent examples. I was actually thinking of
      a more ancient time, and the so-called orgiastic cults of the type
      Graves or Frazer disclosed, those of the fertility rites and so on.
      Of course many historians have expounded on these. I don't think the
      fertility rites are in dispute are they?

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, LeeEdgarTyler@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 1/29/2004 8:25:54 PM Central Standard Time,
      > alcyon11@y... writes:
      >
      > Someone recommended the Dutch side of the island, but this sounds
      > even better. I'm unashamed to admit that one of my middle-aged
      > fantasies was having sex on the altar in a catholic church. I've
      read
      > I'm not alone in this aberration. There was a time (antiquity)
      when
      > sex, drugs, and rock ' roll were religious mainstay. Ed should
      have
      > more info on whether this is a myth or not.
      >
      > Jo
      >
      > Oh, I wouldn't say it's a myth. Orwell did his homework when he
      wrote The
      > Devils of Loudoun, and the "possessed" convent there was as close
      to a hippy
      > love-in turned religious fest as you can imagine. Think of what an
      open-door
      > church on the corner of Haight and Ashbury might have been like.
      And it was
      > not particularly unusual.
      > This, of course, was in the 1600s. The poor priest, Fr. Urban
      Grandier, who