Re: Primative dent

  • Mary Jo Malo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2004
      Ed,

      Graves states his basis for his ideas for "The White Goddess" is myth
      and language, grammar, poetry. "Historical grammar of poetic myth" is
      the subtitle. He thought that he found in the witchcraft of England
      and other countries a remnant of a widespread cult. I thought he did
      a fantastic job. He took Irish druidic, bardic, and the continental
      troubador remnants found in poetry and came up with a pretty
      interesting synthesis. He knew it was all secret and purposely hidden
      in poetry. I love language and poetry so that pretty much sold me. I
      love nature and the seasons. That also was appealing.

      Thanks for the heads up on Eco. He is obviously both well educated
      and an educator, professor of semiotics. But you know all this.

      Mary Jo

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, LeeEdgarTyler@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 1/29/2004 8:00:29 PM Central Standard Time,
      > alcyon11@y... writes:
      >
      > Ed,
      >
      > It follows then that it's no surprise that the ancients found lots
      of
      > remedies to endure their pain. Can you blame them? That religious
      > cults arose from their "medicine" would also be explainable.
      Robert
      > Graves (not one of your favorites, I know) said most of the
      ancient
      > goddess religions included hallucinogens, a 'shroom, I believe.
      > Umberto Eco's fiction, "Baudolino". is most wry in proposing that
      the
      > Grail legends were written by a group of politically motivate
      > students who drank and used drugs. These students were integral to
      > the machinations between the Pope and Frederick of Barbarossa.
      It's
      > quite amusing, but Eco usually is intelligent and humorous.
      >
      > Mary Jo
      > Actually, I like Graves' fiction very much; but you can't take his
      > pronouncements on historical matters without a grain of salt.
      While there were surely
      > a variety of hallucinogens used in various religions, the goddess
      religions
      > of which he speaks were so geographically widespread and
      culturally diverse
      > that it's not really feasible to hold that many of them were
      following the
      > same practices.
      > And of course the question I always ask--and which drives people
      nuts--is:
      > How would he know? Very few of these religions left any record of
      their
      > practices at all, and the only artifacts that we have to go on are
      a few votive
      > figures. Or I should say, what we take to be votive figures.
      Compound the