James Speed

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2004
      Ed, You might remember the Speed case in Iowa City where infection
      from wisdom teeth travled to the optic chiasma and caused double
      blindness in a fine basketball player. Antibiotics have made all the
      difference and now we prevent such episodes with early intervention
      in such situations. I rarely write antiobiotics now, it is just not
      necessary with proper , preventive intervention.
      In prehistoric times it must have been horrendous with mo
      medications or instrumentation.The improvements in the last fifty
      years are remarkable. When I came out of school it was not unusual to
      see 30 or more careous lesions in one mouth. Today that would be an
      unusual disaster. I am so glad, I do not have the energy to take on
      such cases . Things are better in some facits of life. Bill