Re: [existlist] Re: The Devil's Voice

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2004
      Lorna,

      I think that to most people [my opinion] the church is separate from religion. Very few people really get into the finer details about what the religion is really about. They may attach themselves to bits and pieces -- like some interpretation of salvation -- but most of this is to parrot what the church leaders happen to be saying. I suppose that applies to anything, like government.

      For most point, the church is a focal point in the community. It provides both comfort and welfare. The subtleties of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, is something that is left to those who have the time to get into that sort of thing. The church is very much a social club. The words that are used in the church are simply buzzwords that serve to bind the community together.

      In the old days, at the time when Christianity was expanding into the Rome, the church was what we might say today to be a "commune" where the little that people had was shared. This, more than the religion itself, was a large attraction.

      I doubt that "faith" is something that is more distinctive than the church. In a sense, "faith" is simply an awareness that you belong to the larger community of the church. Perhaps in the same way that some may appreciate that they are part of the Existlist, and yet are not that much informed as to what Existentialism is all about.