Re: [existlist] Re: 2004

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
      I think that there is a phase ... in mid-life ... where one is conscious of society. But then there is a transition to the Sage or Wise Woman which emphasizes the individual.

      Actually, it is more like

      ... 0 to 20 years - social
      ... 20 to 30 years - individual
      ... 30 to 50 years - social
      ... 50 to end years - individual

      Or something like that

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 4, 2004
        Eduard,

        I am still relatively young at 44 and still have much to learn and much to
        do. In the last five years I have lost both parents and a sister inlaw. My
        father was the first to go at 77 years of age, then in September of 2003 my
        sister inlaw passed at 51. On years eve my mother passed away and the very finite
        nature of life has hit home. We all go, its just a matter of time. Life is a
        tough game to play, there are no winners because nobody gets out alive. I
        now have realized that there is probably less time left before me than has past
        behind me and this awareness seems to have rung a bell for me. That is what
        lead me to the conclusion that the means are more relevant than the end. We
        all experience life, then we experience death, but only the end is the same.
        All that I wish to accomplish in this life seems to evolve with the little
        lessons of day to day living. The concept of an end goal has far less appeal to me
        each day. Lifestyle and social interaction are simple choices that serve as
        navigational devices in life. They can and will determine how we get there,
        but the means of doing so is still by personal choice. We can choose what we
        do and how we do it and that is a simple fact. At any rate, mortality is a
        realization that we are actually lucky to achieve. Many people never realize
        their own mortality for one reason or another. I am pleased that I have
        realized my own, and am now able to work within its parameters. You appear to have
        also come to this realization.

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 5, 2004
          Jerry,
          I'm beginning to fear that, though the year is only just over
          halfway through, you may have already given too much of yourself, in
          your care for and about other people. Whether you're able to read
          this, whether you're able or willing to reply, I'ld like to say
          thank you, anyway, for the emotional comfort you brought me at a
          time of desperation. You have done no harm, that I can see, and
          that is a very great thing indeed - the poet C.H. Sisson, admittedly
          the most curmudgeonly of all lovable pessimists, seemed to think no-
          one but Jesus could possibly do no harm, on this planet. Of course,
          I don't know you well, and our mutual messages only date back about
          five months, but I miss your contributions, and the warmth of your
          personality. After all the embarrassing things I've ended up
          saying, in confusion or panic, I'm hoping this won't add to my
          accompt.
          Louise