Re: [existlist] Re: 2004

  • jerryjfortin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
      I no longer smoke, but I choose to giveup something different this year. I
      have decided to give more of myself this year. I will spend more time with my
      family, and my friends. I will spend more time trying to help people, and
      spend less time in self indulgence. Life is indeed short, with little time for
      pain and suffering, or whining and complaining. There simply isn't enough
      time to help everyone, but that is the point isn't it. We must start somewhere,
      and we can help ourselves by helping others. A new journey begins like any
      other, with the first step. This time however my goal is not a destination
      because I cannot control all of lifes events, and we are not always free to choose
      our directions. This time the journey is all about how to go about getting
      somewhere and what is done on the journey. I believe that the path I will
      follow will be one of needs and deeds.

      Jerry

    • eduard at home
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
        Jerry,

        Great stuff. So far I'm have been able to stick to the no-smoking resolution. How are you doing with your resolutions??

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jerryjfortin@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
          Eduard,

          I haven't being smoking either, as far as my resolutions are concerned, they
          are proving to be difficult. There is an almost overwhelming temptation to
          just take some personal time. With luck, and the co-operation of my children it
          looks like after 8 pm will have to suffice. That is of course provided the
          wife and neighbors need nothing. I am sure this will be the most exhaustive
          endeavor I have ever had the priviledge of undertaking.

        • eduard at home
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
            Jerry,

            What's the "exhaustive endeavour"???

            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
              Eduard,

              The "exhaustive endeavor" is what most people would call normal living, that
              is helping your family ,friends and neighbors. I have become a self indulgent
              being, totaly involved in a little world of my own manufacture. I had spent
              less time with everyone in favour of the pursuit of individualism. That phase
              of my life has lead me to this phase. I believe it to be a progression in
              life experience, one that is necessary for further development. I am learning,
              but it takes time.

              Jerry

            • eduard at home
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                Jerry,

                Normal living should never be exhaustive. At least after one has gotten all the wrinkles out.

                Actually, I think the progression is in the opposite direction. From a social position to that of individualism. Or perhaps it is a fluctuation, back and forth.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Eduard,

                  The wrinkles are what life is about. I believe that the fluctuations of
                  which you speak are pivotal learning curves that lead away from our chosen paths,
                  that return later in a further developed state. I think of life as a journey
                  through loops and curves that are seemingly endless but are indeed quite
                  finite. A veritable roller coaster of emotions, perceptions and experiences make
                  up our individual journey's, that all lead to the same place. It is not the
                  end that concerns me, but the means to the end. In my view some things should
                  must never be justified. To me the means are more relevant than the end,
                  which is why I have now once again embarked on a different course than I
                  originally concieved. I cannot change the things which will happen, but I can change
                  where I will be when they happen. I guess that in essence I desire to look
                  back on my life and find satisfaction with my own efforts. That is where I am
                  coming from with this latest change in my life, a way to achieve a desired end.

                  Jerry

                • eduard at home
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Jerry,

                    I agree with what you are saying about the journey being more important than the end.

                    It is just at this stage of my life, I can sense the end coming and there are some specific things that I want to accomplish. In particular I want to finish my Nooism philosophy/religion.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Ah... another human dilemma! the right balance between We and I!

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                        I think that there is a phase ... in mid-life ... where one is conscious of society. But then there is a transition to the Sage or Wise Woman which emphasizes the individual.

                        Actually, it is more like

                        ... 0 to 20 years - social
                        ... 20 to 30 years - individual
                        ... 30 to 50 years - social
                        ... 50 to end years - individual

                        Or something like that

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 4, 2004
                          Eduard,

                          I am still relatively young at 44 and still have much to learn and much to
                          do. In the last five years I have lost both parents and a sister inlaw. My
                          father was the first to go at 77 years of age, then in September of 2003 my
                          sister inlaw passed at 51. On years eve my mother passed away and the very finite
                          nature of life has hit home. We all go, its just a matter of time. Life is a
                          tough game to play, there are no winners because nobody gets out alive. I
                          now have realized that there is probably less time left before me than has past
                          behind me and this awareness seems to have rung a bell for me. That is what
                          lead me to the conclusion that the means are more relevant than the end. We
                          all experience life, then we experience death, but only the end is the same.
                          All that I wish to accomplish in this life seems to evolve with the little
                          lessons of day to day living. The concept of an end goal has far less appeal to me
                          each day. Lifestyle and social interaction are simple choices that serve as
                          navigational devices in life. They can and will determine how we get there,
                          but the means of doing so is still by personal choice. We can choose what we
                          do and how we do it and that is a simple fact. At any rate, mortality is a
                          realization that we are actually lucky to achieve. Many people never realize
                          their own mortality for one reason or another. I am pleased that I have
                          realized my own, and am now able to work within its parameters. You appear to have
                          also come to this realization.

                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 5, 2004
                            Jerry,
                            I'm beginning to fear that, though the year is only just over
                            halfway through, you may have already given too much of yourself, in
                            your care for and about other people. Whether you're able to read
                            this, whether you're able or willing to reply, I'ld like to say
                            thank you, anyway, for the emotional comfort you brought me at a
                            time of desperation. You have done no harm, that I can see, and
                            that is a very great thing indeed - the poet C.H. Sisson, admittedly
                            the most curmudgeonly of all lovable pessimists, seemed to think no-
                            one but Jesus could possibly do no harm, on this planet. Of course,
                            I don't know you well, and our mutual messages only date back about
                            five months, but I miss your contributions, and the warmth of your
                            personality. After all the embarrassing things I've ended up
                            saying, in confusion or panic, I'm hoping this won't add to my
                            accompt.
                            Louise