RE: [existlist] Re: 2004

  • Mischke
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
      We smoke because we can, although it's getting more difficult to do so here
      in the facist state of New York. We also smoke because we choose to. I
      guess I'm just not ready to quit yet. But then, I didn't start smoking
      until I turned 40. Mischke

      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
        I no longer smoke, but I choose to giveup something different this year. I
        have decided to give more of myself this year. I will spend more time with my
        family, and my friends. I will spend more time trying to help people, and
        spend less time in self indulgence. Life is indeed short, with little time for
        pain and suffering, or whining and complaining. There simply isn't enough
        time to help everyone, but that is the point isn't it. We must start somewhere,
        and we can help ourselves by helping others. A new journey begins like any
        other, with the first step. This time however my goal is not a destination
        because I cannot control all of lifes events, and we are not always free to choose
        our directions. This time the journey is all about how to go about getting
        somewhere and what is done on the journey. I believe that the path I will
        follow will be one of needs and deeds.

        Jerry

      • eduard at home
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
          Jerry,

          Great stuff. So far I'm have been able to stick to the no-smoking resolution. How are you doing with your resolutions??

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • jerryjfortin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
            Eduard,

            I haven't being smoking either, as far as my resolutions are concerned, they
            are proving to be difficult. There is an almost overwhelming temptation to
            just take some personal time. With luck, and the co-operation of my children it
            looks like after 8 pm will have to suffice. That is of course provided the
            wife and neighbors need nothing. I am sure this will be the most exhaustive
            endeavor I have ever had the priviledge of undertaking.

          • eduard at home
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
              Jerry,

              What's the "exhaustive endeavour"???

              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                Eduard,

                The "exhaustive endeavor" is what most people would call normal living, that
                is helping your family ,friends and neighbors. I have become a self indulgent
                being, totaly involved in a little world of my own manufacture. I had spent
                less time with everyone in favour of the pursuit of individualism. That phase
                of my life has lead me to this phase. I believe it to be a progression in
                life experience, one that is necessary for further development. I am learning,
                but it takes time.

                Jerry

              • eduard at home
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Jerry,

                  Normal living should never be exhaustive. At least after one has gotten all the wrinkles out.

                  Actually, I think the progression is in the opposite direction. From a social position to that of individualism. Or perhaps it is a fluctuation, back and forth.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Eduard,

                    The wrinkles are what life is about. I believe that the fluctuations of
                    which you speak are pivotal learning curves that lead away from our chosen paths,
                    that return later in a further developed state. I think of life as a journey
                    through loops and curves that are seemingly endless but are indeed quite
                    finite. A veritable roller coaster of emotions, perceptions and experiences make
                    up our individual journey's, that all lead to the same place. It is not the
                    end that concerns me, but the means to the end. In my view some things should
                    must never be justified. To me the means are more relevant than the end,
                    which is why I have now once again embarked on a different course than I
                    originally concieved. I cannot change the things which will happen, but I can change
                    where I will be when they happen. I guess that in essence I desire to look
                    back on my life and find satisfaction with my own efforts. That is where I am
                    coming from with this latest change in my life, a way to achieve a desired end.

                    Jerry

                  • eduard at home
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                      Jerry,

                      I agree with what you are saying about the journey being more important than the end.

                      It is just at this stage of my life, I can sense the end coming and there are some specific things that I want to accomplish. In particular I want to finish my Nooism philosophy/religion.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                        Ah... another human dilemma! the right balance between We and I!

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                          I think that there is a phase ... in mid-life ... where one is conscious of society. But then there is a transition to the Sage or Wise Woman which emphasizes the individual.

                          Actually, it is more like

                          ... 0 to 20 years - social
                          ... 20 to 30 years - individual
                          ... 30 to 50 years - social
                          ... 50 to end years - individual

                          Or something like that

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 4, 2004
                            Eduard,

                            I am still relatively young at 44 and still have much to learn and much to
                            do. In the last five years I have lost both parents and a sister inlaw. My
                            father was the first to go at 77 years of age, then in September of 2003 my
                            sister inlaw passed at 51. On years eve my mother passed away and the very finite
                            nature of life has hit home. We all go, its just a matter of time. Life is a
                            tough game to play, there are no winners because nobody gets out alive. I
                            now have realized that there is probably less time left before me than has past
                            behind me and this awareness seems to have rung a bell for me. That is what
                            lead me to the conclusion that the means are more relevant than the end. We
                            all experience life, then we experience death, but only the end is the same.
                            All that I wish to accomplish in this life seems to evolve with the little
                            lessons of day to day living. The concept of an end goal has far less appeal to me
                            each day. Lifestyle and social interaction are simple choices that serve as
                            navigational devices in life. They can and will determine how we get there,
                            but the means of doing so is still by personal choice. We can choose what we
                            do and how we do it and that is a simple fact. At any rate, mortality is a
                            realization that we are actually lucky to achieve. Many people never realize
                            their own mortality for one reason or another. I am pleased that I have
                            realized my own, and am now able to work within its parameters. You appear to have
                            also come to this realization.

                            Jerry

                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 5, 2004
                              Jerry,
                              I'm beginning to fear that, though the year is only just over
                              halfway through, you may have already given too much of yourself, in
                              your care for and about other people. Whether you're able to read
                              this, whether you're able or willing to reply, I'ld like to say
                              thank you, anyway, for the emotional comfort you brought me at a
                              time of desperation. You have done no harm, that I can see, and
                              that is a very great thing indeed - the poet C.H. Sisson, admittedly
                              the most curmudgeonly of all lovable pessimists, seemed to think no-
                              one but Jesus could possibly do no harm, on this planet. Of course,
                              I don't know you well, and our mutual messages only date back about
                              five months, but I miss your contributions, and the warmth of your
                              personality. After all the embarrassing things I've ended up
                              saying, in confusion or panic, I'm hoping this won't add to my
                              accompt.
                              Louise