2004

  • eduard at home
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
      I have a good feeling for the New Year. For the first time, things seems to be coming together and I am absolutely convinced that I am on the right track with what I am doing.

      But even more to the point, I was rummaging through my 1949 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica and was amazed at the advances we have made. For example, the encyclopedia merely speculates as to the atmospheric conditions 100 or 200 miles above the earth's surface. In the section on cosmology, what we know now to be galaxies of billions of stars are referred to as "extra-galactic nebulae". The section expresses that these nebulae are only rotating masses of gas, formed out of a continuous primeval gaseous medium, and which may form stars at their outer rims due to "condensation". The entire basis of this supposition seems to be that of analogies to how gases and liquids swirl on the earth's surface.

      In the past 50 years or so, we have come a tremendous way in our knowledge of what our universe is really like, and this knowledge is increasing exponentially. For example, the WMAP satellite has now provided us with an all-sky view of the cosmic microwave background radiation, as the universe was 380,000 years after the Big Bang. All of this gives me pause for wonderment and a great anticipation for more things yet to come. We are living in the most exciting era of human history.

      Keep those neurons happy in 2004 ...

    • Lorna Landry
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
        Eduard,
        Today is my last day of smoking (cigarettes!), eating unhealthy foods, and ignoring the need for exercise. My big plan is to indulge, and then overindulge in all of these things over and over again today in the hopes of felling too sick to even get out of bed for a cigarette tomorrow morning. Whattya think?
        Lorna

        eduard at home <yeoman@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • eduard at home
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
          Lorna,

          I am on the same track. Tomorrow is the end of my smoking. Lets see if we can support each other in this endeavour. I even bought some of that Soya drink to substitute for milk. And I have a bowl of peanuts to snack on.

          Good luck ...

          Today is my last day of smoking (cigarettes!), eating unhealthy foods, and ignoring the need for exercise. My big plan is to indulge, and then overindulge in all of these things over and over again today in the hopes of felling too sick to even get out of bed for a cigarette tomorrow morning. Whattya think?
          Lorna

        • drQ
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
            Can I join in? I smoke too! heavily.
            other than that I'm fine! I'm a vegetarian, I walk regularly my good cholesterol level is 100.

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
              I'm going to get some sunflower seeds - unshelled. Good luck to you as well (didn't we do this last year??)

              Lorna

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                You're in, dr Q! Good luck to you - here's to a healthy smoke-free new year!!

                Lorna

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                  Yep ... glad to have you. We shall have to arrange a reunion somewhere to celebrate each other ...

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                    Yes ... I seem to recall making a list last year. But this time it is going to be different ... :-)

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                        er...yeah...er...for me too.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                          dr. Q
                          I find my mouth gets so cut up and dry, long before I eat any substantial amount. that's why I'm going for the unshelled variety - it's something to keep my hands busy so as to not smoke. I'm thinking about also starting a knitting project for the same reason. Good luck to you!
                          Lorna

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                            Lorna,

                            We will see what works to keep our minds off of smoking ... I have a my bowl of peanuts and then I could always go to sleep. Tomorrow will be hard as I go to the office tomorrow. I don't smoke away from home, but it is usually exhausting, so I look forward to relaxing with a cigarette when I get home.

                            Isn't this exciting ...

                            And so marvelous. Three people spanning almost half the world are planning on doing something in unison. Hey, I think drQ already has the new year ...

                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                              > 2004 ...

                              It is an arbitrary marker based on the number of times a planet that supposedly
                              exists spins around a supposed sun.

                              Without sense of time, we might all be happier...

                              Neuronically Yohrs
                            • eduard at home
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                                We are chained to time, because regardless of how you measure it ... seconds, minutes, hours, years ... we progressively wear out and degrade. If we got rid of the concept of time, that would not mean that we get rid of death ...

                                But then what do I know ....

                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                                  Neuronically Yohrs,
                                  You are absolutely right. It means absolutely nothing. Without a sense of time we would probably feel a hell of alot younger too. As you see, I am sitting at my desk at home in front of my computer on the Eve of all eves, so the date means little to me. But tell me, do you smoke cigarettes? If so, I suggest you jump on the existlist-we-want-to-be-free-from-the-addiction-of-smoking bandwagon. Now that I think of it, perhaps a wager of sorts would be in order. Is there any sort of cyber incentive we can offer up as a prize for longevity (in quitting, not life)? You'll have to excuse me this evening. Although the date means little to me, I have already partook in a toast or 2 to the new year...or whatever.
                                  Lorna

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                                    You know, eating salted roasted watermelon seeds (unshelling by teeth) is very popular in this area (ME). Well, pumpkin seeds too. Very addictive! once you start, you can never stop!!!

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                                      At this point, I think any sort of nuts/seeds will do. I just want to stay away from the dreaded sugar!
                                      Lorna

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 31, 2003
                                        We smoke because we can, although it's getting more difficult to do so here
                                        in the facist state of New York. We also smoke because we choose to. I
                                        guess I'm just not ready to quit yet. But then, I didn't start smoking
                                        until I turned 40. Mischke

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
                                          I no longer smoke, but I choose to giveup something different this year. I
                                          have decided to give more of myself this year. I will spend more time with my
                                          family, and my friends. I will spend more time trying to help people, and
                                          spend less time in self indulgence. Life is indeed short, with little time for
                                          pain and suffering, or whining and complaining. There simply isn't enough
                                          time to help everyone, but that is the point isn't it. We must start somewhere,
                                          and we can help ourselves by helping others. A new journey begins like any
                                          other, with the first step. This time however my goal is not a destination
                                          because I cannot control all of lifes events, and we are not always free to choose
                                          our directions. This time the journey is all about how to go about getting
                                          somewhere and what is done on the journey. I believe that the path I will
                                          follow will be one of needs and deeds.

                                          Jerry

                                        • eduard at home
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
                                            Jerry,

                                            Great stuff. So far I'm have been able to stick to the no-smoking resolution. How are you doing with your resolutions??

                                          • jerryjfortin@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
                                              Eduard,

                                              I haven't being smoking either, as far as my resolutions are concerned, they
                                              are proving to be difficult. There is an almost overwhelming temptation to
                                              just take some personal time. With luck, and the co-operation of my children it
                                              looks like after 8 pm will have to suffice. That is of course provided the
                                              wife and neighbors need nothing. I am sure this will be the most exhaustive
                                              endeavor I have ever had the priviledge of undertaking.

                                            • eduard at home
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                Jerry,

                                                What's the "exhaustive endeavour"???

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                  Eduard,

                                                  The "exhaustive endeavor" is what most people would call normal living, that
                                                  is helping your family ,friends and neighbors. I have become a self indulgent
                                                  being, totaly involved in a little world of my own manufacture. I had spent
                                                  less time with everyone in favour of the pursuit of individualism. That phase
                                                  of my life has lead me to this phase. I believe it to be a progression in
                                                  life experience, one that is necessary for further development. I am learning,
                                                  but it takes time.

                                                  Jerry

                                                • eduard at home
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                    Jerry,

                                                    Normal living should never be exhaustive. At least after one has gotten all the wrinkles out.

                                                    Actually, I think the progression is in the opposite direction. From a social position to that of individualism. Or perhaps it is a fluctuation, back and forth.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                      Eduard,

                                                      The wrinkles are what life is about. I believe that the fluctuations of
                                                      which you speak are pivotal learning curves that lead away from our chosen paths,
                                                      that return later in a further developed state. I think of life as a journey
                                                      through loops and curves that are seemingly endless but are indeed quite
                                                      finite. A veritable roller coaster of emotions, perceptions and experiences make
                                                      up our individual journey's, that all lead to the same place. It is not the
                                                      end that concerns me, but the means to the end. In my view some things should
                                                      must never be justified. To me the means are more relevant than the end,
                                                      which is why I have now once again embarked on a different course than I
                                                      originally concieved. I cannot change the things which will happen, but I can change
                                                      where I will be when they happen. I guess that in essence I desire to look
                                                      back on my life and find satisfaction with my own efforts. That is where I am
                                                      coming from with this latest change in my life, a way to achieve a desired end.

                                                      Jerry

                                                    • eduard at home
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                        Jerry,

                                                        I agree with what you are saying about the journey being more important than the end.

                                                        It is just at this stage of my life, I can sense the end coming and there are some specific things that I want to accomplish. In particular I want to finish my Nooism philosophy/religion.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                          Ah... another human dilemma! the right balance between We and I!

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                                                            I think that there is a phase ... in mid-life ... where one is conscious of society. But then there is a transition to the Sage or Wise Woman which emphasizes the individual.

                                                            Actually, it is more like

                                                            ... 0 to 20 years - social
                                                            ... 20 to 30 years - individual
                                                            ... 30 to 50 years - social
                                                            ... 50 to end years - individual

                                                            Or something like that

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jan 4, 2004
                                                              Eduard,

                                                              I am still relatively young at 44 and still have much to learn and much to
                                                              do. In the last five years I have lost both parents and a sister inlaw. My
                                                              father was the first to go at 77 years of age, then in September of 2003 my
                                                              sister inlaw passed at 51. On years eve my mother passed away and the very finite
                                                              nature of life has hit home. We all go, its just a matter of time. Life is a
                                                              tough game to play, there are no winners because nobody gets out alive. I
                                                              now have realized that there is probably less time left before me than has past
                                                              behind me and this awareness seems to have rung a bell for me. That is what
                                                              lead me to the conclusion that the means are more relevant than the end. We
                                                              all experience life, then we experience death, but only the end is the same.
                                                              All that I wish to accomplish in this life seems to evolve with the little
                                                              lessons of day to day living. The concept of an end goal has far less appeal to me
                                                              each day. Lifestyle and social interaction are simple choices that serve as
                                                              navigational devices in life. They can and will determine how we get there,
                                                              but the means of doing so is still by personal choice. We can choose what we
                                                              do and how we do it and that is a simple fact. At any rate, mortality is a
                                                              realization that we are actually lucky to achieve. Many people never realize
                                                              their own mortality for one reason or another. I am pleased that I have
                                                              realized my own, and am now able to work within its parameters. You appear to have
                                                              also come to this realization.

                                                              Jerry

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jul 5, 2004
                                                                Jerry,
                                                                I'm beginning to fear that, though the year is only just over
                                                                halfway through, you may have already given too much of yourself, in
                                                                your care for and about other people. Whether you're able to read
                                                                this, whether you're able or willing to reply, I'ld like to say
                                                                thank you, anyway, for the emotional comfort you brought me at a
                                                                time of desperation. You have done no harm, that I can see, and
                                                                that is a very great thing indeed - the poet C.H. Sisson, admittedly
                                                                the most curmudgeonly of all lovable pessimists, seemed to think no-
                                                                one but Jesus could possibly do no harm, on this planet. Of course,
                                                                I don't know you well, and our mutual messages only date back about
                                                                five months, but I miss your contributions, and the warmth of your
                                                                personality. After all the embarrassing things I've ended up
                                                                saying, in confusion or panic, I'm hoping this won't add to my
                                                                accompt.
                                                                Louise