RE: [existlist] answer no. 4

  • Luke Lofland
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001

      is it like the tramalfadorians (spelling?) from slaughterhouse five? They
      see in four dimensions. If they saw me for example, they will see me as i
      was, is and will be.

      Sweaters
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
        Luke,

        i guess im not succeeding in being clear .. let me try again ... in physics
        there is the idea of probability ... that is you cant simultaneously
        determine the location and speed of something ... so think of a line that is
        of infinite length ... it is absolutely straight for essentially all of its
        length, except for one location which represents the present ... at this
        location you have a wave whose amplitude is distributed over a short
        distance .. at the precise location the amplitude is high and then lessens
        to either side ... it is like a little bulge in the line ... i see this as
        the same as a photon of light which can be both a wave and a particle at the
        same time ... so you as Luke are on your time line ... you exist in only one
        location which is the present and you flow along the time line from the past
        to the future ... now, the future is not fixed ... the choices that you make
        in the present can change the direction of the line ...

        that is what im getting at in saying the table is the present display on its
        time line ... it does not exist in the past (to the left on the line) but we
        are aware of where it was since the line leads to that empty space
        (non-tree) in the forest ... and it does not exist in the future (to the
        right on the line) ... the future or direction of the line is dependent upon
        what is done today ... if we throw it in the fire, the direction is to
        ashes, and if we turn it into a chair then the direction of the time line
        will lead to that empty space amongst the living room furniture ...

        have fun (but watch where you send your line) ...

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
          i see i see.

          Here's a situation that my friends and I discuss alot (because they
          like physics):
          A Cat is in a box. Once the box is opened a gas is released and the
          cat dies. So, the cat in the closed box is both alive and dead.

          Yep, that's it.
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 4, 2001
            Luke,

            nope ... the cats dead ... definitely dead ... i heard that story before ...
            so i went out and found the box ... and opened it ... and i can tell you
            truthfully ... THE CATS DEAD ... i killed the cat ... you can inform your
            friends that the story is over, unless they want to do it on TNN ...

            have fun (but dont tell the cat) ...