Re: [existlist] answer no. 4

  • Yulian K. Gaard
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
      Eduard ...

      For a rock it is kinda obvious statement ...
      For something like a tree you might make a coutch from it, but it's still a wooden coutch - as in "made of a tree".
      Only for humans would it make any meaning.

      In objects it's a pointless discussion you are comming with weither their essence or existence comes first - or rather a triviality. If you make a coutch (though it comes from a tree) the essence of a coutch comes first in that you are building from an by you thought up idea ... The tree as existing as a tree would in the making of the coutch be lost in that its physical properties goes into a natural process. After all, you wont claim that you are a "soon to be rot"; you are defining yourself from what you actually is. And probably also from your relations to things in your case. The bedst description of any person would be that "he is" and nothing but that.

      No sence
      Yulian

      Respectfully submitted.

      " Magic is a way of life. "
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
        Yulian,

        yes ... for that instance when you are looking at the couch (lets call it a
        bench, since i dont know how to spell it either), it is the object that you
        use to sit on ... however, what im getting at is that an awareness that it
        was once a tree ... im suggesting that this is more than awareness ... that
        the tree is part of the time line of the bench and is very real ... for
        example, somewhere in a forest somewhere there is an empty space which was
        the tree that you chopped down to make the bench ... that space is also a
        non-tree ... so if you were counting the forest you would have 9,999 trees
        and one non-tree ... so your bench continues to have a certain reality in
        its past ... im saying that objects are not static .. they are a moment in a
        process ... just as a car is also some ore in a mine somewhere ... and your
        morning cereal is also a crop in a field somewhere ...

        have fun ...

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
          So if someone dies, rot in earth and become dirt, then they are still there as a non-person ? And that dirt is still a person ??

          Respectfully submitted.

          " Magic is a way of life. "
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
            Yulian,

            yes ... if you consider "dirt" as being the materials that come from the
            body ... hey did you see where some scientist .. i think in the netherlands
            is working on a means to make dead people into fertilizer ... sounds good to
            me ...

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
              eduard

              is it like the tramalfadorians (spelling?) from slaughterhouse five? They
              see in four dimensions. If they saw me for example, they will see me as i
              was, is and will be.

              Sweaters
            • Eduard Alf
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                Luke,

                i guess im not succeeding in being clear .. let me try again ... in physics
                there is the idea of probability ... that is you cant simultaneously
                determine the location and speed of something ... so think of a line that is
                of infinite length ... it is absolutely straight for essentially all of its
                length, except for one location which represents the present ... at this
                location you have a wave whose amplitude is distributed over a short
                distance .. at the precise location the amplitude is high and then lessens
                to either side ... it is like a little bulge in the line ... i see this as
                the same as a photon of light which can be both a wave and a particle at the
                same time ... so you as Luke are on your time line ... you exist in only one
                location which is the present and you flow along the time line from the past
                to the future ... now, the future is not fixed ... the choices that you make
                in the present can change the direction of the line ...

                that is what im getting at in saying the table is the present display on its
                time line ... it does not exist in the past (to the left on the line) but we
                are aware of where it was since the line leads to that empty space
                (non-tree) in the forest ... and it does not exist in the future (to the
                right on the line) ... the future or direction of the line is dependent upon
                what is done today ... if we throw it in the fire, the direction is to
                ashes, and if we turn it into a chair then the direction of the time line
                will lead to that empty space amongst the living room furniture ...

                have fun (but watch where you send your line) ...

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                  i see i see.

                  Here's a situation that my friends and I discuss alot (because they
                  like physics):
                  A Cat is in a box. Once the box is opened a gas is released and the
                  cat dies. So, the cat in the closed box is both alive and dead.

                  Yep, that's it.
                • Eduard Alf
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 4, 2001
                    Luke,

                    nope ... the cats dead ... definitely dead ... i heard that story before ...
                    so i went out and found the box ... and opened it ... and i can tell you
                    truthfully ... THE CATS DEAD ... i killed the cat ... you can inform your
                    friends that the story is over, unless they want to do it on TNN ...

                    have fun (but dont tell the cat) ...