Re: [existlist] Digital music

  • LeeEdgarTyler@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
      In a message dated 12/1/2003 10:56:22 AM Central Standard Time,
      valleywestdental@... writes:
      Ed, I recently thumbed through the selections on a modern juke box.
      I am a dinosaur. I knew very few of the artists or titles. I suppose
      it is time to retire to the great unhip. The music I like is at
      least 20 years old. Much of it I purchased on 33rpm long play. Those
      are worn out so I rebought on cassette tape. Now I have most of it
      on CD. Should I download that old stuff for my MP3 player I
      understand I should pay again. I like to listen as I cross country
      ski. Perhaps I will just whistle to myself and be happy with the
      money I am saving. Perhaps they will sue me for whistling their song
      if they can catch me in deep snow in the woods. Vengance is mine says
      the nordic freak. Bill

      Take heart, man. Music is like ties. The thin ones come back, then the wide
      ones.

      Among the most popular groups with college students today are the Beatles,
      Stones, Who, and Led Zep. In fact, probably the most popular college band in
      Baton Rouge (a town full of college bands) is a Led Zep/Pink Floyd cover band.
      Just this morning on the way to class I was next to a jeep full of college
      guys singing along to Baba O'Reilly.

      So you might want to try out some of the new bands. Some of them sound so
      much like the old stuff--but with an edge of their own--that it's almost like
      going home. I particularly like Oasis, the Stereophonics, the White Stripes,
      and the Strokes.

      Having said all that, I'm looking at the new Rolling Stone and see that Rod
      Stewart, Bon Jovi, REM, the Eagles, Bob Seger, and Sting all have albums in the
      top 40 right now. Not too bad for a bunch of old geezers.

      Wish I could join you on the nordic skiing thing. Currently 62 with a high
      of 70 today. No dang snow here.

      Ed