RE: [existlist] answer no. 3

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
      Yulian,

      wait for answer no. 4 ... im working on that ...

      have fun ...

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
        hey folks,

        isnt this getting a bit off the subject ...

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
          But I'm bored ... And kinda just deleted the last few days of mail as I was busy studying Sartre, Kierkegaard and Existentialism in general =)=)=)

          Respectfully submitted.

          " Magic is a way of life. "
        • Eduard Alf
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
            Yulian et folks,

            sorry to hear you are bored ... the following is answer no. 4 which may be
            of interest ...

            4. everything is flowing ... the table is not just a table ... it is the
            present appearance and includes the tree from which it came and the ashes
            which it is to become ... like a momentary fluctuation in a time line ...

            have fun ...

            But I'm bored ... And kinda just deleted the last few days of mail as I was
            busy studying Sartre, Kierkegaard and Existentialism in general =)=)=)
          • Yulian K. Gaard

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                Yulian,

                yep ... my own ... although i dont know what "relativistic positivistic"
                means ...

                think of a long string, held tight ... this represents the time line from
                start to finish ... then think of a fluctuation at some point in the string
                (say the middle) ... the string has only one dimension; its length ... the
                fluctuation or vibration adds other dimensions ... if just up and down, then
                it has two dimensions ... if up, down and back and forth, then it has three
                dimensions ... the location of the fluctuation can be seen as akin to time
                ... so the string or time line, changes into our four dimensional universe
                and the thing which is the fluctuation suddenly appears ... in the case of
                the table the fluctuation is in our present time, and it appears as a table
                ... in past time it may have been a fluctuation as a tree ...

                of course everything has a time line and these all cross in the present ...
                the time line for the wood of the table crosses with the time line for the
                bolts that attach the legs ...

                can one extend this idea to god ... in that god is also a fluctuation that
                appears in our time? ...

                have fun ... im going to take a nap ... thinking is exhausting ...

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Eduard,

                  "relativistic positivistic"
                  Posetivism is a line of thinking where 'science' and especially physics and math is the ideal. Big part of the thinking included is that all things is determined (decided) by factors such as society, biology, molecule structures, chemestry ect. and that those sciences can 'predict the future' if they have enough information.

                  Relativism means that you think that everything is dependant on the others, here especially ment the place in history and society ...

                  Thinking
                  Yulian

                  Respectfully submitted.

                  " Magic is a way of life. "
                • Eduard Alf
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                    Yulian,

                    i suppose ... but the idea here is not specifically within science .. i know
                    that Hawkings got into time lines, but mostly for black holes ... what im
                    offering here is that objects are really an isolated moment within a process
                    ... that if you make a choice now, then you affect the time line ... so ones
                    decisions have to be more than just what you see now ... i suppose that we
                    already know that ... but it is not often put into words ... and is not
                    applied to everything ....

                    have fun ...

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 1, 2001
                      as monty python said

                      "Life is evolving, revolving, at 50,000 miles and hour"

                      Yep. Time and stuff. Didn't Einstein say time was relativte. Wasn't I who
                      always mentioned relativity.

                      Sarcastic me
                      sweaters

                    • Eduard Alf
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                        Luke,

                        you miss the point ... i guess im not being too clear ... the thing is not
                        evolution or movement through time ... the idea is that an object is a
                        process and includes both its past and its future, whatever that future may
                        be ... it is Taoist ... i suppose i have not yet gotten the concept right
                        myself, since i cant express it clearly ...

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                          Eduard ...

                          For a rock it is kinda obvious statement ...
                          For something like a tree you might make a coutch from it, but it's still a wooden coutch - as in "made of a tree".
                          Only for humans would it make any meaning.

                          In objects it's a pointless discussion you are comming with weither their essence or existence comes first - or rather a triviality. If you make a coutch (though it comes from a tree) the essence of a coutch comes first in that you are building from an by you thought up idea ... The tree as existing as a tree would in the making of the coutch be lost in that its physical properties goes into a natural process. After all, you wont claim that you are a "soon to be rot"; you are defining yourself from what you actually is. And probably also from your relations to things in your case. The bedst description of any person would be that "he is" and nothing but that.

                          No sence
                          Yulian

                          Respectfully submitted.

                          " Magic is a way of life. "
                        • Eduard Alf
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                            Yulian,

                            yes ... for that instance when you are looking at the couch (lets call it a
                            bench, since i dont know how to spell it either), it is the object that you
                            use to sit on ... however, what im getting at is that an awareness that it
                            was once a tree ... im suggesting that this is more than awareness ... that
                            the tree is part of the time line of the bench and is very real ... for
                            example, somewhere in a forest somewhere there is an empty space which was
                            the tree that you chopped down to make the bench ... that space is also a
                            non-tree ... so if you were counting the forest you would have 9,999 trees
                            and one non-tree ... so your bench continues to have a certain reality in
                            its past ... im saying that objects are not static .. they are a moment in a
                            process ... just as a car is also some ore in a mine somewhere ... and your
                            morning cereal is also a crop in a field somewhere ...

                            have fun ...

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                              So if someone dies, rot in earth and become dirt, then they are still there as a non-person ? And that dirt is still a person ??

                              Respectfully submitted.

                              " Magic is a way of life. "
                            • Eduard Alf
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001
                                Yulian,

                                yes ... if you consider "dirt" as being the materials that come from the
                                body ... hey did you see where some scientist .. i think in the netherlands
                                is working on a means to make dead people into fertilizer ... sounds good to
                                me ...

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 2, 2001

                                  is it like the tramalfadorians (spelling?) from slaughterhouse five? They
                                  see in four dimensions. If they saw me for example, they will see me as i
                                  was, is and will be.

                                  Sweaters
                                • Eduard Alf
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                                    Luke,

                                    i guess im not succeeding in being clear .. let me try again ... in physics
                                    there is the idea of probability ... that is you cant simultaneously
                                    determine the location and speed of something ... so think of a line that is
                                    of infinite length ... it is absolutely straight for essentially all of its
                                    length, except for one location which represents the present ... at this
                                    location you have a wave whose amplitude is distributed over a short
                                    distance .. at the precise location the amplitude is high and then lessens
                                    to either side ... it is like a little bulge in the line ... i see this as
                                    the same as a photon of light which can be both a wave and a particle at the
                                    same time ... so you as Luke are on your time line ... you exist in only one
                                    location which is the present and you flow along the time line from the past
                                    to the future ... now, the future is not fixed ... the choices that you make
                                    in the present can change the direction of the line ...

                                    that is what im getting at in saying the table is the present display on its
                                    time line ... it does not exist in the past (to the left on the line) but we
                                    are aware of where it was since the line leads to that empty space
                                    (non-tree) in the forest ... and it does not exist in the future (to the
                                    right on the line) ... the future or direction of the line is dependent upon
                                    what is done today ... if we throw it in the fire, the direction is to
                                    ashes, and if we turn it into a chair then the direction of the time line
                                    will lead to that empty space amongst the living room furniture ...

                                    have fun (but watch where you send your line) ...

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 3, 2001
                                      i see i see.

                                      Here's a situation that my friends and I discuss alot (because they
                                      like physics):
                                      A Cat is in a box. Once the box is opened a gas is released and the
                                      cat dies. So, the cat in the closed box is both alive and dead.

                                      Yep, that's it.
                                    • Eduard Alf
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 4, 2001
                                        Luke,

                                        nope ... the cats dead ... definitely dead ... i heard that story before ...
                                        so i went out and found the box ... and opened it ... and i can tell you
                                        truthfully ... THE CATS DEAD ... i killed the cat ... you can inform your
                                        friends that the story is over, unless they want to do it on TNN ...

                                        have fun (but dont tell the cat) ...